Great Recipes using the Garden's Bounty

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I have made jam using lemon peel for pectin.
Hey woodlandwoman--Would you mind sharing the recipe with us? That sounds wonderful! I can really imagine it being tasty with raspberries and peaches :)

me&thegals

Reaction score
Here's one for all that zucchini!

Lazy Zucchini Lasagnamake a vegetarian meal with this for the main dish, green beans, fruit salad and garlic bread on the side.

1 very large zucchini, sliced in rounds
2 cups cottage cheese
2/3 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 t pizza seasoning

1. In frying pan sprayed with olive oil, saut the zucchini rounds, about 5 min on each side, until crisp-tender.
2. Drizzle about cup of the spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a square glass baking dish and spread evenly. Top with of the zucchini rounds, 1 layer. Top with 1 cup of cottage cheese, then drizzle with another cup of spaghetti sauce
3. Repeat layers: Zucchini, cottage cheese, spaghetti sauce.
4. Sprinkle top layer with pizza seasoning, then cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly and slightly browned, about 30 min.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't have an exact recipe but this is what I did: Get a good looking thick skinned lemon and peel (zest) the outside including the yellow and white parts in very small pieces. Then I add it to whatever fruit I am cooking to make jam. I don't have an exact proportion but I add as much as I need until it is as thick as I want.

me&thegals

Reaction score
How about a couple to use up cucumbers? These are from the aunts on both sides of the family :)

Aunt Carols Refrigerator Dills
1 quarts water
2 cups white vinegar
cup pickling salt
1 tbsp. mustard seed
1-2 heads garlic
tsp. alum (if desired, for added crunchiness)

Bring to boil on the stove. While heating, slice a big onion on bottom of 5-qt. pail. Add garlic, 4 heads of dill, and cucumbers. Pour brine over the top. Add more dill, garlic, and onions on top. Add minced hot peppers if desired. Let stand on counter up to 2 days, then move to fridge.

Aunt Chris Freezer Pickleseasy, fast (except 1 hour of draining time) and unexpectedly crunchy when thawed and served.

8 cups cucumbers sliced, thinly sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup sugar
cup vinegar

Mix cukes, onion and salt; let stand 1 hour. Drain over sink and then squeeze out excess water. Heat 1 cups sugar and cup vinegar until dissolved. Pour over cukes. Freeze in freezer containers. Thaw and serve.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got my grandma's pressure canner from my brother yesterday. (grandma passed away about 7 yrs ago) and inside it was her canning book from Kerr, copyrighted 1938. There was also another one from 1972, which is my mom's. I thought it was neat to see the older one! So now I'm adding my 2008 canning book to the collection, to some day hand it down to my daughter! :)

I sure miss my grandma, and it was neat to see her book inside there when I opened up the bag! Seeing the different recipes in there, makes me remember canning weekends at her house when I was a young child!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I collect old cookbooks, especially those from the early 1900's. I love to read and try the recipes. Most use real simple ingrediants and are really cheap to make. I really like a book if it has writing along the edges of the recipes or if one or two pages are all stained. Then I try those first because I know they must be good!!

I am glad you got you Grandmother's canner and books. It is cool that you are already planning to pass down these wonderful traditions to yourown daughter. I don't have a girl but you never know maybe one of my boys will grow up to be more like me than I thought.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, it "can" happen! My 22 yr. old boy canned tomatoes for me today and the 16 yr. old boy blanched half the corn in the patch and cut it off for freezing. First time for either of them and they did a wonderful job!

It was kind of comical to come home and see how he had improvised using equipment he was totally unfamiliar with. I had told him where to find my Ball Canning Book (old one my mother passed down), but you know guys....the book didn't jump out of the file and grab his trachea, so he couldn't find it. Then he called grandma! Resourceful kid! He said, "Well, she IS the source of all knowledge in the universe!" :lol: So I came home to 3 doz. quarts of tomatoes and 12 qts of frozen corn and an only-slightly messy kitchen. Not bad for a couple of boys that have never done anything like this. If I described the setup he had built with the canner, you would fall over laughing! I kept a straight face and described the proper way to use the jar rack, etc. and went in the bathroom to snicker. :gig

Don't give up on the boys learning your ways. I know just who to pass on my canning equipment to, as my mother and Aunt Betty passed them on to me. :weee Oh, and they also had fixed supper for me! I think they felt sorry for me, as I had worked 35 hours in two days! :bouquet

me&thegals

Reaction score
Holy cow! (pun intended :) my daughter always loves looking at your avatar when she's peeking over my shoulder). That's amazing! Even my full-grown husband would not have a clue on where to start! Way to go on raising such fine sons and I hope you have your feet propped up after such a horrific 2 days!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, still going, put in 14 hours today as well.

I came home to yet another cabinet organized and another dozen qt. of tomatoes on the table! I don't know if I've done all that great a job, but I have raised children who aren't daunted by many things. I've always taught them that one can do anything you put your mind to. I'm just glad they are putting their minds to my canning, as I haven't had time to do so myself.

Its always mixed feelings when you raise boys, you know. Joel cleaned and canned, but the youngest forgot to put out the trash for yet another week and shot some of my soon-to-be-$4-pumpkins full of soft-air pellets! :barnie

Men, no matter what age, are the most adorable and the most frustrating animals on Earth! :rolleyes: