Great tool, makes things easier

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a hard time sitting on any discovery of a cool, versatile tool... for some reason, I alway feel like sharing. You might say this one is pretty simple. In one way, it's really just a pair of scissors or shears. But the differences are: the handles are spring loaded, and you can squeeze the handles with your whole hand, allowing you to transfer more strength to the material you're cutting. Lots of applications around the homestead.

4407_wezsnips_2.jpg

I paid $9 for mine (new) about four or five months ago, at a local hardware store. I usually keep it in my mechanics tool box, but it's been great for various uses, like cutting long lengths of thick corrugated cardboard, cutting thick felt, trimming the roots off of harvested garlic, harvesting 50 lbs of lavender flower stalks off the plants, cutting plastic strapping. You can even cut lightweight wire, because the blades have a little notch for that.

Because the spring re-opens the scissor blades after each cut, unlike ordinary shears the tool keeps your fingers from getting blisters if you use them for hours on end. I used to wear a glove on my right hand when I used shears for long stretches, but that isn't good when you suddenly need the dexterity of your fingers to do something else for a moment. I've noticed the design of the shears also keeps your hand from tiring out as much.

Could be other brands of similar design are avalable, I dunno... the brand I bought is Wiss and the model is called Wezsnips. Should mention the blades are quite sharp when you get them, and seem to hold a good edge.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Excellent post!!! I will definitely be looking for these at my local hardware store. That is one of the most valuable tools I use around here....scissors and hand loppers/nippers. SO many applications. I've found that the average scissors one can buy just do not hold up any longer to rough use...but these look like they could.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a pair of shears like this a couple years ago. They really are nice on your hands. I use them for hand trimming weeds and such around my bushes and trees. They are also helpful in opening stupid blister packs.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
I got a pair of shears like this a couple years ago. They really are nice on your hands. I use them for hand trimming weeds and such around my bushes and trees. They are also helpful in opening stupid blister packs.
Yeah, I neglected to mention their helpfulness with blister packs - especially the ones made with heavy-duty clear plastic, or with a combination of cardboard & plastic.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these, Joel! :hugs

I think I'll be looking into buying several pairs of these for Christmas presents this year! ;)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
I think I'll be looking into buying several pairs of these for Christmas presents this year! ;)
We're getting into the season when people start thinking about 'what to buy?' as a gift - for Christmas, yes... but this'd be good for birthdays, too.

I agree with Dawn's notion. This tool is very useful - and very good for the price. My pair has gotten a lot of use and is holding up real well.

Greg Richardson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Always looking for a good tool of that type. So many of them stick once you squeeze them they are a pain to work with.

Latest posts