Greetings from Vail, Arizona

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gina, I think they're Idaho Russets. I didn't have lemon juice so looked up :caf how to make a solution out of vitamin C. 6 tabs of 500mg (3000 units) Vit C per 2 cups water - It didn't work well - :(

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Vail is known for being the little town between the tracks - literally. The original town was about a 1/2 block area in between 2 sets of railroad tracks. It's not much bigger now. Lot's of people because the developers came in and put in a master planned community and a few subdivisions, but we still don't have a grocery store of our own (although rumor has it we will eventually have a Safeway), only 1 gas station & last year we got a Walgreens. :woot Oh! I almost forgot - Vail has a dormant cave that's kinda interesting and almost worth the price of admission!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
lupinfarm said:
Bahaha I'm a Stephanie too!

Except I call myself Stephy :)
I'm Stephie to my family, except my nephews who were taught very young to call me Auntie Princess :lol:
Hahaha... when I was young I was Stephie with an ie, and an elderly neighbour called me Stephie with an ie...

I'm not sure how I ended up with Stephy with a y lol

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:woot More of the pullets I hatched in our 'bator are beginning to lay for me! It's a bit strange tho - the eggs I'm getting from them are all bantam size. The 2 I gave my MIL are laying NICE sized eggs, not little ones like mine. hmmmmm. Very weird. I don't have any bantams in my flock. I hope with the coming of spring my eggs get bigger.

Today for fun I gave The Pork Chop a head of cabbage - it was hilarious watching him roll the thing aroung trying to get a grip on it only to have it roll away :gig Hopefully that will keep him busy for awhile and he will leave the horses alone. He is now too big to get between the gate and the fence post so he hasn't been roaming around in a few days :clap Entertaining as it has been, I do worry that he might wander off or that something bad could happen to him. Also, it's alittle easier to think of him as food when he isn't following me around like a dog.

Speaking of dogs, Scooby wanted to take a ride with me to mailbox where he managed to roll down the window and jump out. :ep Scared me half to death that he might run onto the highway and get hit by a car. Finally I just drove off hoping he would chase after, which he did. I stopped on the other side of the rode at the wide spot where he decided to get back in the Durango. I'm soooo thankful he didn't get hit by a car - I would much rather strangle him myself. :barnie

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
Instead, I will try to raise something else in there... I wonder if it would hold a couple turkeys... can turkeys fly?
Love the Pork Chop stories! Yes, they can fly. Mine can somehow get from the ground up to a 2 x 4 eight feet up to roost.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love reading about the pig...they sure have a way to try to make ya want to keep them as pets hu!? Our first pig was VERY friendly and sweet. I actually felt bad sending him to the butcher. I felt like a traitor! ( but he sure was tasty) :p A string of electric wire along the bottom of that fence will keep him in. As for the turkeys, yup, they fly, and they fly well! We put a top over our turkey pens. I hope you can get some pics loaded...I would love to see your place. Sounds like a great little farm!
Once you upload them...under the pic, there are 2 lines. One says Thumb ( for a smaller pic) and the other says image. just click on one of them to highlight it,then right click and hit copy, then paste it into your thread where you are typing. Its really easy.....really! :)

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's a pretty lazy day. Champ had a bad night and we were up most of the night on seizure watch. He was diagnosed 2 years ago with epilepsy and we have never been able to get it under control despite various meds & tests - suppossedly 1 or 2 episides per year is reasonable. He has more than that in one week and often more than that in one day. Right now he is sleeping like a baby at my feet as I type, snoring like only a bulldog can. I'm tempted to wake the little bugger up just because.

1196_100_1208.jpg
the date on the pic is incorrect - this one was taken last year - I can tell by the carpet.

Bella & Champ
1196_piggys_in_a_blanket.jpg

I went with my MIL to the fabric store last night and bought fabric to back & bind a scrap quilt top I made out of old denim jeans & some scrap plaids I had laying around. I really love how this is turning out. Tomorrow I will add a striped border so I'll be ready to layer it on Sunday while DH is working on FIL's truck. As far as the actually quilting, I'm going to "cheat" and tie this one. I'm excited to get it finished.
1196_current_quilt_project.jpg