Grocery shopping update

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Gosh I spend at least $250 every two weeks at the grocery store...we like to eat around here:>) I don't think I could ever get it down to less than $100...my hats off to you that do!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well now that is only like $125 per week actually Morel....you are closer to us than you think...LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PP
with 5--almost 6 kiddos--I wouldn't think you could truly find the time to worry about a perfect shopping system..LOL.

but truly, when sporadic, I know I spend way more than I should...but heck I save money elsewhere so maybe it all pans out in the end..HA HA

at least let me think that.!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
well now that is only like $125 per week actually Morel....you are closer to us than you think...LOL
Oh...you guys are doing it by the week...well...then maybe I'm NOT that far off! Thanks FC...I feel better now LOL! And here I was thinking like . HOW'D THEY DO THAT???

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I think I spend about $100 a week. I usually do my big shopping about every six weeks and it is between $400-$500 then if you add in all the extra trips I think that is about $50 a week. That includes all toiletries.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And I was feeling good about getting the bill down to $120 a week! We are a family of five who never ever eat out. Also every once in a while I'll spend over $200 in one trip. It's when we've run out of a lot of things at once.

I've been trying to look harder for coupons and the like. But I'll only use a coupon if it was something I was going to buy anyway.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Whats hard right now is all the holiday sales that are going on. I stock up on baking supplies this time of yr so that hopefully I don't need to buy any till next holiday season when they are on sale again. Plus there are lots of roasts & other cuts of meat on sale too that are too good to pass up. That is keeping my bill up right now so after the first my bill should drop drastically.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
keljonma said:
By using our home-canned and frozen foods plus the bulk grains (lentils, beans, flours etc) we purchase quarterly, we have been able to cut back some.

Of course, there are just two of us and no little ones to feed (unless you count Titan and the chickens), and we don't eat a lot of meat.

We spent $100 in total for the month of November. Of that $100, $45.90 was spent on lunches out (including the tips) and items that were purchased to make food that was donated.

We spent $50 in November at the feed store for dog and chicken food.

I think you're doing a good job, FC, just by realizing you had $15 worth of items you didn't need. I don't count the toilet paper in my food bill. I count it under miscellaneous expenses. :D
These are my monthly totals. Some weeks we don't go grocery shopping.......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HM
I think that is how my bill gets jacked up. Sale on TP....well I have tons of it but we will need it forever ya know..LOL...so here I go spending $ (but saving money) LOL

I guess I do need to keep it in perspective about what money is being spent on sales etc. Like the baking items you said. On sale, why pay higher later when you want these items.

So I guess I need to keep it in my mind that I am not just spending this money on crap...LOL-LOL. it is money spent for the reason it should be.

I hate sales in a way. You don't really need anything, they drag ya into the store cause you want that sale, buy more cause you can...and voila, more spent..LOL

water diet for this family....nah, we like to eat..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
keljonma
you sure are doing well on that monthly total.

hey, when you do a quarterly bulk buy ---what kind of money are you dropping at one time? just wondering. Cause I thought of "loading" up at a bulk store but honestly I can't swing like $300-400 to do a big stock up at one time. I just ain't got it, but if I did like you.....and spend more once a quarter, then I could save the other weeks I guess without shelling out so much....Hmmm....I might actually be confusing myself..HA HA

I swear the older I get the more I don't care....I care, but don't care. You know what I mean..LOL