Grocery shopping update

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My dd and sil use the homemade ones.... but she hasn't trusted the kids with them. Although they don't try to flush the homemade baby wipes.... so I think they'd be okay...

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I almost flushed one one time!! It was swirling around when I realized what I had done and I had to snatch it out real fast!!!! :ep :lol: Then I scrubbed my hands real good!!:gig

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I went shopping today for a 2 week supply and spent around $120 for a family of 5, not bad but it could have been better. Made up my menu and followed it strictly.

And to my surprise, I received a bag of free crinkle cut fries ( the employee cut the bag accidentally with the blade) so the store gave them to me) saved $1.25 :)

Also received a free pack of egg roll wraps (produce manager was bagging our groceries and asked how many was left, I said one, and he gave me that pack for free) saved $2.50 :)

Also received a free bottle of dish detergent and a free roll of heavy duty Reynolds wrap (saved about $4 there). :)

We each agreed that this year we would try and eat better and eat less so we purchased a bunch of fruits and raw veggies. Now we have oranges, apples, bananas, radishes, broc., cauli., etc. to snack on instead of chips and cookies.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Great job on the shopping trip!! Planning a menu helps cut down the impulse buy a TON!!!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YOu got that right PP. The first time I made a menu, for a month, I saved $90 and I was hooked. I thought maybe a 2 week menu for this year would work better beings we just processed 36 meat birds and I am limited on freezer space (due to great deals at the market). :)

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Acre of Blessings, I'm inspired reading about your menu planning. Menu planning is something I've done in the past - until 6 months ago. I will work that back into our routine. That was the problem - our entire routine was thrown off.
And good for you eating healthier snacks. I stopped buying chips last summer when the prices got so high. We simply can't afford them. We do enjoy an occasional bag only when there's a good sale.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to do the menu for the month, but since we have to go out and get milk and other perishables I figured a 2 week menu would be great.

We all sit down at the table armed with all the cookbooks and each of us pick out recipes that we would like to have. That way all is happy.

Latest posts