Grocery Store Score! Share stories, tips & pointers:

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One of the Meijer's supermarkets in town frequently has a "clearance" veggie rack. Whenever they have veggies that are past their prime, they bag them up and sell them at a discount. Sometimes it's a really good deal, sometimes it's just a few cents off a pound, but I pick up pennies off the ground, I'll pick up pennies at the grocery store too if it's something I know I can use. The catch to most of the stuff, is it must be used or preserved right away.

Yesterday I got there and they had cleared out their old stock of green peppers, HAPPY DAY! Here is the haul I made:
4602_img_20120119_180850.jpg

31.99# Green Pepper
3# Cabbage
4.40# Banana
13.51# Russet Potato
8 ears Sweet Corn

Total Receipt:
$24.44

I cut all the peppers down into the different size pieces that we use. Then I re-used the bags that they came in to bag them in 2c. portions, which is about the amount we use for the various cooking we do. That filled a brown paper bag, and then they went in the freezer. The bananas will get mashed, portioned & frozen, for making banana bread. The potatoes were only $.04 off per pound, but there wasn't anything wrong with them. They will keep just fine....

There is actually more cabbage & a TON of apples still there. If I can find the funds in my budget, I think I might go clear them out of apples and do some canning today!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CRAP....................is all i can say

I NEVER get good prices like that on produce

you did REAL good.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would rather have my own home raised, but I found whole fryers for .77/lb. Wish I could get some more. Have one cooking down for some chicken noodle soup, with homemade noodles. I always have to check the rancid meat pile whenever I go to the store.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fryers for $.77 per# is awesome!! I would love to find chicken at that price. I haven't had home raised chicken since I was in 4-H. I don't recall our chickens tasting very good, but I was a kid, and less appreciative of flavor. I have been considering doing some cornish game hens and a few turkeys this year.

What kind of chickens do you raise for meat?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I raise mutts for meaties. I got bryan hot dogs on sale the other day and had coupons so my final price was 48 cents a pack. I know they aren't the healthiest thing in the world, but they shut kids up pretty quick in the summer as a snack :p

ETA: Here's a tip...look up Dollar General stores online, they should have a printable coupon for $5 off $25 for tomorrow only. I have 3 coupons from my reciepts and will be spending $75 minus the store coupons and manufacturer coupons. I usually walk out with 40% or better off. That's how I stock up TP, toothpastes, deodorants, and other non perishable items, and I donate ALOT. Stack those coupons!!! :D

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found 28 ounce cans of tomatoes for 50 cents tonight.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Recently, we got a new store in the area, Bottom Dollar Food. I've been buying certain items in there since it's close, and the cheapest I can find them.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ETA: Here's a tip...look up Dollar General stores online, they should have a printable coupon for $5 off $25 for tomorrow only. I have 3 coupons from my reciepts and will be spending $75 minus the store coupons and manufacturer coupons. I usually walk out with 40% or better off. That's how I stock up TP, toothpastes, deodorants, and other non perishable items, and I donate ALOT. Stack those coupons!!! :D
Great Tip!! Those sort of non-perishable staples, that an individual rarely changes taste in are exactly the sort of thing that I like to stock up on at least a year in advance! What a deal!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FranklinStreetWest said:
Wannabefree said:
Great Tip!! Those sort of non-perishable staples, that an individual rarely changes taste in are exactly the sort of thing that I like to stock up on at least a year in advance! What a deal!!
Yep I got Cottonelle bath tissue 12 big rolls for $4 per package today :D I stocked up big time on that, it was a GREAT deal when reg. price is $6 per package! I got more DG coupons on my reciept today too for this coming Friday ;) $5 off $25 again :woot I still have a few things I want to pick up to donate to the shelter and such.