Grocery Store Score! Share stories, tips & pointers:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Anyone have a "Save-A-Lot" grocery store in your area? One is opening in town next month and I was curious if anyone has shopped with them? It looks like they carry regional brand names as opposed to the National brands. The little flyer we got in the mail had some interesting things, but they may just be teasers...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We have Sav-a-lot stores here and they are GREAT for canned goods! They are also pretty good for breads and such if you don't make your own all the time. They are very reasonably priced on most everything. I used to ONLY buy milk there because they were the lowest price and I still buy canned goods there alot.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We had a savealot open up in our old neighborhood. They aren't as "nice" as some of the other stores in terms of their product display - they often go with more open shelves and less "organization." if that makes any sense at all. They don't have a variety of selection but they have base line prices. For basic staples they aren't too bad, it just depends on what your opinion of quality is.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they have great deals on fruits and veggies but dont buy too much because as soon as you get half way through the parking lot to the car most of it will have already rotted.

CheerioLounge said:
Anyone have a "Save-A-Lot" grocery store in your area? One is opening in town next month and I was curious if anyone has shopped with them? It looks like they carry regional brand names as opposed to the National brands. The little flyer we got in the mail had some interesting things, but they may just be teasers...

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I for one, love Sav a lot!!!!! At least I did when I was near one and lived in FL. I did the grocery shopping to fill the pantry for the Aids Council and it was a life saver!!! I had a small budget and definitely got the best bang for the buck there. Haven't had the oppurtunity to use one since--not in the past nine years. I hope it still has great values!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The Sav-a-lot stores really depend on the area too. We used to travel with DH's work all over the country and I have been to MANY MANY grocery stores, some of the best, and some of the worst, were Sav-a-lot stores. Being a new store coming in, I'd definately give it a try, and no, they aren't fancy stores, that's why their prices are generally better though ;)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Thanks y'all! I don't care about pretty, I care about price and quality. I'm thinking canned goods, baking staples, rice, etc. The prices have to better than Stater's Bros., the only other grocery in town.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, take your own bags for loading groceries. Sometimes there are empty boxes at the chckout and sometimes not.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
snapshot said:
If I remember correctly, take your own bags for loading groceries. Sometimes there are empty boxes at the chckout and sometimes not.
I always take my own bags!! Don't we all? ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Ours now bags the groceries for you like other stores. And no Cheerio, we don't all bring our own bags :p I like to kill plastic trees...actually i like them for stuffing around things I'm shipping for extra padding, but whatever :lol: