Growing/Raising food section?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, Nifty...while we have you here...I've noticed a serious lack of sheep forums on the net. :cool: :lol:

Seriously, though, I did a search because I have a question and found very few active forums on sheep. I know, I know...not enough interest! Just throwing that out, though........ :D

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
reinbeau, I could have links in the mid sections like we have the FAQ link at BYC. I'm a little reluctant to do that until other forums get bigger... Lemme think about it a bit.

Beekissed, I wish I knew more about sheep and goats to know if a single forum could cover both, because that would be ideal.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, lots and lots of goat people here and on the BYC...only a few sheepers. Miss Prissy, for one! The other forums I found didn't have the flow and quick response that these forums have, so they did not appeal.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first post here, but I came here assuming there would be a forum all things self-sufficient. I don't see how one can be self sufficient without growing your own food.

Maybe I don't understand enough about the subject. :)

I would suggest at least a subforum on growing your own food, or maybe one called Livestock and another Gardening. I don't know that it would require a different subforum for each and every type of critter out there.

Just my humble two cents.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi Buster, Welcome.
The reason there is not a forum on raising your own food is because this site has a sister site called the easy garden and nifty does not want to duplicate the forums or take away from the garden site.
There other thing is there is already so many topics here that its a matter of room.
There have been a few other topics that have come up but didn't make the cut.
There is a button at the bottom of the page that will bring you over to the garden site.
There is a huge amount of information there.
I just shoot over there whenever I need gardening info. and its just as easy to go back and forth, its one click of a button, the same as if you clicked the button on this forum to bring you to a sub forum.
I use it as a sub forum from here.
There are alot of the same members there.
I hope you enjoy it here.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
Hi Buster, Welcome.
There is a button at the bottom of the page that will bring you over to the garden site.
D'oh! :)

Thanks for pointing out the links on the bottom. Okay, that makes sense, then. Might help if I read the FAQ, eh?

It also helps that I only need to bookmark the one site.

And thanks for the welcome. I'll pop on over and see if the other forums cover most of my areas of interest. We bought a little 8 acre place last year, spent the past year fixing it up (it was trashed) and plan to start growing things this year. The goal is to raise most of our own food, both meat and plant.

Somebody brought up aquaculture. We are planning to use our 1 acre pond to raise catfish for the table, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about small scale, non-intensive fish rearing. If somebody decided to start a forum on aquaculture, that would absolutely thrill me.

We also plan to raise cattle (small ones),chickens (already have 5), pigs and sheep.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this forum needs a more specific category just for discussions on livestock. Its such a large part of SS, to raise one's own food, that it needs a separate space.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am glad you founds us. Have you been over the backyard chicken site?
Lots of info over there too.
Where are you from? May have some other members here from your area.
It sounds like you have a great plan. You will be able to find anything and everything that you need between these 3 sites.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I been talking about my chickens in everything else self sufficient and in my journal. DH has dubbed me "Chicken Obsessed" because that's all I've focused on today.

Hey, spring is right around the corner! I gotta get myself ready for the spring market!! :D