Grrrr auto mechanic shops!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah I did the second shop aligned the wife's car no problem. I asked if everything was OK they said yep. So I'm happy now but will never go back to the first shop.

Right on! But i have done a few red neck alignments in the driveway with a tape measure and level. Poor man got poor ways.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Make sure you let people in your town know about the 2 shops... you want that honest one to get all the business!
I did that in the small town I lived in. After getting done over by the main garage in town, I towed my car out of there and took her to the backyard mechanic, who I mentioned earlier in the thread. He did a fantastic job in a very short time at about 1/3 of the price the garage charged me. I made a point of telling EVERYONE all about it. The garage owner spoke to my MIL a few weeks later and told her I'm "poison" :gig

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dropped my car off for an alignment once. Was told the next day when I went to pick it up that they couldn't do it because my tires were so bad (because of the bad alignment...). So I took the car to get new tires, brought it back and left it another day. Picked it up the next afternoon and the shake was WORSE than before. Did a U-turn and went right back. They told me that they were done for the day and that I'd have to bring it back AGAIN the next day. I went back to the tire place, they took all 4 tires off and checked them over - found a broken belt on one. Replaced it (for free of course) and off I went driving smooth as can be.
... my question - that the garage never DID answer to my satisfaction - was, if the unevenly worn tires prevented a proper alignment.. .WHY didn't the one with the broken belt????
I've never been back to that garage. I found a little hole-in-the-wall place that does a good job, doesn't suggest anything that I didn't ask for and (seems to) charge fair prices.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, you have white hair. I have some gray & wrinkles...they say "old & female" -- double the work!! Triple the charge!! :D

I go to a couple small shops who are honest & fair. Then there are some things they may not have a way to do :idunno .
I get referral from them, usually a good one.

I used to be part owner in a large auto repair & paint--body shop. Stepson still owns, I sold out. Honest with me but 50 miles away. Rarely use. :cool:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed as I work my way through the ageing process:

Age 18 - 25: Going to the hardware store: employees would freely offer assistance. I never had to hunt down an employee to get waited on.

25 - 50: Especially when accompanied by young children: Hardware store employees would run in the opposite direction when they saw me coming. It was infuriating trying to get waited on. I often took my cute daughter with me, and would send her to find an employee. She'd go around the corner, and return with one hot on her heels in less than 2 minutes!

50+: Evidently, HS employees take pity on little old women. Once again, I am able to get assistance in a HW store without having to don running shoes and chase them down.

But, you're right: the way women are taken advantage of is totally infuriating, especially when it comes to auto repair or purchase. Once, hubby and I were looking for a car for me. He was along just to see that I didn't get shafted. Invariably, the salesman would direct all of his attention to hubby, even after hubby made it clear that this would be MY car, I would be paying for it, and I would be the one choosing it, and driving it. One particularly infuriating guy directed his entire pitch to hubby, even after being redirected to speak to me, until: Finally, he turned to me and pointed out what he thought would clinch the sale with me: "Look at this! This model has a lighted vanity mirror!" He smugly declared as he pulled down the visor over the RIDER seat!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I could hardly get any help loading grain when I was very visibly pregnant at one TSC. I received eye rolls for asking. I don't shop there anymore, I'll say that.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was out in a snowy and icy parking lot changing a tire when I was 8 months pregnant. Think any one thought to offer assistance? Nope.

I'll not do business with TSC. Their feed was ALWAYS OLD. Or they didn't have the formulation I wanted. Always trying to up-sell.