Grrrr auto mechanic shops!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I see a pregnant woman, or one who is dealing with baby/toddlers, or someone on crutches, I will often leave my seat at a restaurant or stop what I'm doing to go open the door for them. You are right, chivalry IS dead. But, I don't think gender excuses any of us from extending common courtesy and kindness to the persons who can use a little help.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After college, I needed to buy a new vehicle. I needed a full size truck. This was back in the 90's and all the salesmen would show me was the mid-size trucks - Ford Ranger, Chevy S10. "ya, its a nice truck. But not what I want. Show me a 1/2 ton." One salesman actually tried to argue with me that the small truck is what i needed so "You can park in the parking stall at the store." GRRR! I needed to be able to tow and haul with it, I knew what I wanted. Besides, the base model full-size 4x4 were cheaper than the 4x4 mid-size. One salesman started to head to the Ranger section - after walking up to me as I was checking out the F150 trucks. I stopped him once and asked to see a full-size. When he headed to the mini's again, I walked to my car and drove away. The salesman that actually listened to me, sold me a vehicle - and 10 years later sold me another one, lol.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH had a check engine light come on in his Charger. He made an appointment at the dealer and they told him it was a $119 charge for each item requested - just to look at the vehicle. But, the dealer says, the charge is credited to the final bill if you have it fixed there. For some odd reason, when Mr. Tight-wad bought the car, he bought the extended life-time warranty for it. As it turned out, it was a code on the oil pump and covered by the new car warranty - so no charge. But, it would have cost us only a $200 deductable to have it fixed under the lifetime warranty.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed as I work my way through the ageing process:

Age 18 - 25: Going to the hardware store: employees would freely offer assistance. I never had to hunt down an employee to get waited on.

25 - 50: Especially when accompanied by young children: Hardware store employees would run in the opposite direction when they saw me coming. It was infuriating trying to get waited on. I often took my cute daughter with me, and would send her to find an employee. She'd go around the corner, and return with one hot on her heels in less than 2 minutes!

50+: Evidently, HS employees take pity on little old women. Once again, I am able to get assistance in a HW store without having to don running shoes and chase them down.

LG, they STILL run like scalded dogs when they see me coming and I'm over 50. And you are right...when I was young, they flocked to help me. Now that I'm old I have to literally chase them down, saying "Sir? Sir? Excuse me, Sir?" until they can no longer avoid me, heave a big sigh and finally turn around and ask to help. :rolleyes:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, you need to take the Bat with you when you go to a HW store. Perhaps you and she could work in tandem to back them scruffy employees into a corner.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, you need to take the Bat with you when you go to a HW store. Perhaps you and she could work in tandem to back them scruffy employees into a corner.

Oh, HER age garners more help....when I'm not with her. When I step away, she's got younger men flirting with her and such. :rolleyes:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I see a pregnant woman, or one who is dealing with baby/toddlers, or someone on crutches, I will often leave my seat at a restaurant or stop what I'm doing to go open the door for them. You are right, chivalry IS dead. But, I don't think gender excuses any of us from extending common courtesy and kindness to the persons who can use a little help.
In previous jobs I worked as receptionist at a country club and waitress in a restaurant. I remember offering to hold fussing babies for customers when they checked in at the former and dining at the latter, so they could eat their meal in peace. I enjoyed getting to cuddle the little ones and helping the parents and they in turn greatly appreciated the help!