Guess I'll try again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Trim's Observation #10: The post hole auger should be mounted on the front of the tractor but never is...

AMEN! How sore is your neck, back, shoulders, after spending all day twisted around trying to watch that auger????

And, what happens when you push(pull) old Bob Warr past his breaking point and he comes flying back atcha to get his revenge?

Careful!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, me and Bob Warr are having a time of it. Yes, I am winning but it isn't and easy contest. Below are a few "Observations" achieved whilst working with my friend, Bob Warr!

Trim's observation #1: If there is even a tiny hole anywhere in your leather gloves, Bob Warr will find it and exploit it.

Corollary #1 to Trim's Observation #1 Bob Warr will always find the space between the end of your leather glove and the beginning of your shirt cuff so if you don't want the doctor to ask if you've been "cutting your wrists", be sure to get really LONG gauntlets, not just gloves.

Corollary #2 to Trim's Observation #1: Wearing a leather welding shirt when working with Bob Warr will save a lot of money in clothing, particularly shirts.*(see Trim's observation 13)

Corollary #3 to Trim's Observation #1: Get your tetanus booster BEFORE you go out with Bob Warr.

Trim's Observation#2 It's best to keep your fencing pliers on your belt.

Trim's Rule #1: NEVER, NO NEVER be more than 5 paces away from your fencing pliers particularly in really high grass.

Trim's Observation #3: If there is a concealed hole to step in or fall into, Bob Warr will help you find it!

Trim's Observation #4: It is wholly impossible to have too many "VICE GRIP" tools when you are working with Bob Warr.

Trim's Observation #5: Spray painting your tools with FLUORESCENT ORANGE PAINT will always help...even at night...you can find them with a black light!

Trim's Observation #6: Having only one (1) Golden rod is never going to be sufficient. You need at least one Golden Rod and one 3 ton chain hoist/come-along if you are expecting to get Bob Warr to come out tight enough to stop a calf...maybe.

Trim's Observation #7: Regardless of the height of the grass, ticks will ALWAYS follow you home and secret themselves in the most intimate of locations, where no human would ever use a flame to control them.

Trim's Observation #8: While it is NOT impossible to have all the tools you need when you are working with Bob Warr, the chances of having them all go with you on the FIRST TRIP are exceedingly low.

Corollary #1 to Trim's Observation #8: A tractor with a pallet fork will be able to carry MOST of those tools unless you are VERY experienced at working with Bob Warr and know all the tricks...of which there are many.

Corollary #2 to Trim's Observation #8: The distance to retrieve the tool you need will be often be directly proportional to the need but inversely proportional to the distance to retrieve it.

Trim's Observation #9: A generator and a few electric tools such as a Sawzall and 1/2" drill will mitigate a number of problems not otherwise easily handled, (EXCEPT if it rains).

Corollary to Trim's Observation #9: A very small chain saw (not a 20" bar) will work but it can always make a real mess of a well positioned fence post.

Trim's Observation #10: The post hole auger should be mounted on the front of the tractor but never is...

Trim's Observation #11: No fence post will remain plumb in soft ground after Bob Warr has been stretched no matter how deep you put it.

Corollary to Trim's Observation #11: Never stretch Bob Warr when the ground is soft. Put the posts in and wait for dry days (at least 7 of them), assuming the cattle will allow it.(which more often than not, they won't)

Trim's Observation #12: You will sleep well at night after spending any day with Bob Warr.

Trim's Observation #13: Since Bob Warr usually wants to work on the hottest days,ALWAYS Drink twice the amount of water that you felt thirsty for each time you drink.

Corollary #1 to Trim's Observation #13: Take the water WITH YOU on the FIRST TRIP out to work with Bob Warr.

Corollary #2 to Trim's Observation #13: The cows can pee outside, so can you.

There's a few more coming, but I just thought I'd add this bit of wisdom which has been recently gathered...

Cheers,

Trim sends

I love this!! :lol: We have been fencing with 2"x4" horse wire. More recently we have been pulling down green briars out of the trees, chopping them off at the ground and piling on a burn pile.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
:gig
I feel your pain!! Take care of yourself and don't forget the tetanus shot!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"I'm right here, Huckleberry and I've got two guns; one for each of ya!" (Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone.)

While it is true that I have been gone for quite a while it is also true that I have been as busy as a one armed paper hanger. Through a series of interesting events, I came upon a beautiful Jersey cow who only has 3 funtioning quadrants. She was pregnant when I got her but she calved on Nov 6 and the calf died 3 days later. So I've been milking her twice a day ever since. That is a very demanding schedule.

I have done a number of projects in the time I've been away but none of them as big as the milking parlor I built for this beautiful Jersey cow. She really is a sweetheart. ( yes, I do have pictures)

Today I made the decision to milk her only once a day starting tomorrow morning. She is still giving me about 2.5 gal/day and I can't drink that much. WW is making butter, cheeses and the like with the excess and the rest go to the hogs and the chickens. I'm told by the gent who purchased one of my hogs that the milk has had a marvelous effect on the taste of the meat, although I have not had an opportunity to try it, YET. That day may be in the next month or so.

As always on a farm, the Angel of Death has visited more than once. The most recent of which was the baby llama born just three days ago and died the next day (Monday). She was last seen alive and walking about on Easter Sunday but the following morning, she had been "gathered to her father's as all will eventually do."
January of 2016 was the first such visit by the AoD. My oldest llama, Granny was found on the floor of the barn in the morning at "roll call" but she was 25 or so. It was a normal thing for her.

There have been two baby boy llamas born in the spring of last year and they are doing find.

I sold most of my cattle last fall and kept back one steer and Buttercup along with Tinkerbelle (the one with only 3 teats) My hay consumption a has taken a steep dive as a result for which I am quite glad. I was running out of it rapidly.

While I've been gone I've built some beautiful "joiners benches" and have two of them in use in my "cordless wood shop." I still use my beautiful power tools (table saw, etc.) butI've been studying the use of hand tools (really cordless) and am getting to the point where I am actually able to cut a respectable dovetail joint in pine as well as a decent mortise and tenon.

Haven't tried hardwood yet until I am completely satisfied with what I do in pine. I can now sharpen a saw competently and sharpen a chisel and a plane blade well enough to shave with (not that I have shaved in the last 11 years but...) My tools cut like they are "SUPPOSED" to cut and are now a joy to use. I have been very happy with the results of the things I have made with hand tools and will be moving up into some form of furniture project in the next year or so. Having built a work bench at the right height for ME has been a wonderful change in my enjoyment of wood working.

The farm is coming along nicely. Always lots of maintenance to be done. The tractors are still running well and no major issues with equipment, thus far.

Big fencing project coming soon (if winter will EVER be over.)We've had snow for the past week and the temperatures have not exceeded 20*F for quite some time. This morning on the way to milk it was +8*F. Yep, it was cold with the 19 Kt. Wind to add to the joy of early morning walk to the milking parlor (which by the way is heated! There are predictions of more snow and the temperatures are nearly 0*F in the AM, and sometimes get close to FREEZING in the afternoons, sometimes.

I lost the election as coroner after 9 years of service in that position. The guy who beat me has an EMT certification and not a clue about death investigation but he does have hundreds of "Friends on Facebook" so he won the election. Good for him! I got tired of the work and poor ability to ever go anywhere but then milking the cow has been even more restrictive...IYKWIM.

In case you are wondering why I've been so quiet, well I just haven't had THAT much time to keep up with everyone but I did miss you all enough to reply to a note I got by email today.

There's lots more that has happened but when one lives on an active farm, it is really just the "run of the mill" stuff an my guess is you are all doing pretty much the same sorts of thing so why bother you with it?

I'll be in and out from time to time. Glad to see all are doing what we do best...living the dream.

Hope all here are well and happy.
Cheers,
Trim sends

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"I'm right here, Huckleberry and I've got two guns; one for each of ya!" (Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone.)

While it is true that I have been gone for quite a while it is also true that I have been as busy as a one armed paper hanger. Through a series of interesting events, I came upon a beautiful Jersey cow who only has 3 funtioning quadrants. She was pregnant when I got her but she calved on Nov 6 and the calf died 3 days later. So I've been milking her twice a day ever since. That is a very demanding schedule.

I have done a number of projects in the time I've been away but none of them as big as the milking parlor I built for this beautiful Jersey cow. She really is a sweetheart. ( yes, I do have pictures)

Today I made the decision to milk her only once a day starting tomorrow morning. She is still giving me about 2.5 gal/day and I can't drink that much. WW is making butter, cheeses and the like with the excess and the rest go to the hogs and the chickens. I'm told by the gent who purchased one of my hogs that the milk has had a marvelous effect on the taste of the meat, although I have not had an opportunity to try it, YET. That day may be in the next month or so.

As always on a farm, the Angel of Death has visited more than once. The most recent of which was the baby llama born just three days ago and died the next day (Monday). She was last seen alive and walking about on Easter Sunday but the following morning, she had been "gathered to her father's as all will eventually do."
January of 2016 was the first such visit by the AoD. My oldest llama, Granny was found on the floor of the barn in the morning at "roll call" but she was 25 or so. It was a normal thing for her.

There have been two baby boy llamas born in the spring of last year and they are doing find.

I sold most of my cattle last fall and kept back one steer and Buttercup along with Tinkerbelle (the one with only 3 teats) My hay consumption a has taken a steep dive as a result for which I am quite glad. I was running out of it rapidly.

While I've been gone I've built some beautiful "joiners benches" and have two of them in use in my "cordless wood shop." I still use my beautiful power tools (table saw, etc.) butI've been studying the use of hand tools (really cordless) and am getting to the point where I am actually able to cut a respectable dovetail joint in pine as well as a decent mortise and tenon.

Haven't tried hardwood yet until I am completely satisfied with what I do in pine. I can now sharpen a saw competently and sharpen a chisel and a plane blade well enough to shave with (not that I have shaved in the last 11 years but...) My tools cut like they are "SUPPOSED" to cut and are now a joy to use. I have been very happy with the results of the things I have made with hand tools and will be moving up into some form of furniture project in the next year or so. Having built a work bench at the right height for ME has been a wonderful change in my enjoyment of wood working.

The farm is coming along nicely. Always lots of maintenance to be done. The tractors are still running well and no major issues with equipment, thus far.

Big fencing project coming soon (if winter will EVER be over.)We've had snow for the past week and the temperatures have not exceeded 20*F for quite some time. This morning on the way to milk it was +8*F. Yep, it was cold with the 19 Kt. Wind to add to the joy of early morning walk to the milking parlor (which by the way is heated! There are predictions of more snow and the temperatures are nearly 0*F in the AM, and sometimes get close to FREEZING in the afternoons, sometimes.

I lost the election as coroner after 9 years of service in that position. The guy who beat me has an EMT certification and not a clue about death investigation but he does have hundreds of "Friends on Facebook" so he won the election. Good for him! I got tired of the work and poor ability to ever go anywhere but then milking the cow has been even more restrictive...IYKWIM.

In case you are wondering why I've been so quiet, well I just haven't had THAT much time to keep up with everyone but I did miss you all enough to reply to a note I got by email today.

There's lots more that has happened but when one lives on an active farm, it is really just the "run of the mill" stuff an my guess is you are all doing pretty much the same sorts of thing so why bother you with it?

I'll be in and out from time to time. Glad to see all are doing what we do best...living the dream.

Hope all here are well and happy.
Cheers,
Trim sends

A combination of both Fred Flintstone (hand) and George Jetson (power) tools are the ideal happy medium.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love hearing everyone's updates! Every farm is different, and y'all get me daydreaming. I loved hearing about your Jersey. I've wanted one since I was a kid. DH still says no. Honestly, I don't want to clean a barn up after a cow!

I am spoiled by sheep! Sheep are small enough to move by force too! I have an absolutely insane awful spazzy yearling ewe that is a broken leg waiting to happen. She has a lamb now, so I'm stuck with her for now. She spooked and tried to jump through a manger hole in the fence. She jumped hard enough that her wool got her stuck in the fence - sometimes stupid is an asset! - and I got a rope on her. With a rope on her neck and a big handful of wool on her butt, I was able to wrangle/drag her to the mixing pen where her lamb was waiting. Wasn't graceful, but got it done! No way I could manage a difficult cow though!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
DOC!!!!!!!!!!! It's SO good to hear from you!!! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how you've been doing! It's GREAT to hear from you! I miss your posts my friend, and glad to see you're doing well still. Be strange, but do t be a stranger! ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't want to clean a barn up after a cow!

Same here!! Want the cream & butter -- picking up a cream separator Sunday! Goat milk has cream, just homogenized

I enjoy reading what people are doing....nice to know you are not the ONLY ONE with issues. :lol: Plus, often we get good info, assists and always a sense of friends.

Latest posts