Guess what we got!?!?!??

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, as always, there is a story. :)

I didn't think we would get a deer this year, as hubby's work schedule is hectic, with regular shifts, outages (which means lots of OT,) and so much other stuff that we need to get done around here.

We still have 3 sheep to butcher, (did one Saturday, still have three to do), we are tiling the basement floor, and installing a freestanding gas fieplace down there, painting the basement and hallway upstaris, still have stuff to do to get ready for winter. So, hunting was not looking good.

Well, Hubby decided to go out Sunday evening. DD wanted to go ride her horse. So hubby got a brilliant idea in his head, that dd could rider her horse, and he would set up about a mile past her, hoping that she would move the deer. She got equipped with a wakie talkie, and off she went. She had a nice ride, was out for about 20 minutes, and saw a buck, so she radioed her dad-"dad, I just saw a buck." He radioed back, "I know, I just shot him.":p

So dd meets up with Dad, and they use Thunder (the horse ) to haul the deer back to the truck. Worked like a charm.
Again, same as last year, taken with a Rage broadhead. Clean shot and the buck was down in 30 yards.

I thanked God for this deer, I really didn't think we would have one in our freezer this year. He had different plans.

We gutted it and hung it last night, and butchered it today. We took all the meat off the bone. 78 lbs, mostly roasts and some ground for pepperettes etc.

72_img_6451_1.jpg
[/img]

DD, Thunder and the deer. It was a 6 pointer

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nice horse
looks very close to my old horse Jordan--a stallion Tony had.

good team work with those guys and congrats on that deer in the freezer!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Nice!!! And what a great idea to use the horse to drag the deer.

I think we need a recipe for those pepperettes!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Nice!!! And what a great idea to use the horse to drag the deer.

I think we need a recipe for those pepperettes!!!!!
Pepperettes must be a Canadian thing. It's basically pepperoni, but quite spicy, in thin casings, and they are smoked--Morel help me out. In Canada, there are pepperettes sold in stores under the name of Hot Rods.

I haven't made them yet, but will post the precipe when we do it. We ground the meat, now we freeze it for two weeks, and then we will make it.

the horse pulling the deer out was a great thing, considering where they were hunting. They were in a very deep ravine. Hubby had flown over the ravine in the summer, and had spotted a huge buck-- a 10 pointer, so, with the wind blowing in the right direction, etc, they decided to try that spot out. thunder towed it like a pro. It's the percheron in him.

and timing couldn;'t be more right, since now hubby is working 6 nights straight, one day off then back again for 4 days. I'm glad he was here to help with the butchering, and I didn't have to do it all by myself.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did a quick search, and I think they are like Slim Jims here in the states.
When my hubby and I first met, I had to show him how to de-bone a deer! His family just always took it to the butcher. He's learnin' ;)