Gun shooting etiquette question

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we shoot skeet we usually get together as a family and it will last at least a couple hours. And I'm sure the neighbors are real fond of us that day. But we only do it every 3 months or so and during daylight hours. We have neighbors down the road from us that have nice loud parties and shoot guns and fireworks in the middle of the night. Noise I can deal with during the day, even if it does sound like we are in the middle of a war. Once it is after 9pm, I'd better not hear any loud noise or I'm calling the sheriff. I don't want to deal with grouchy kids the next day because the noise kept them awake all night.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I will look up the acreage limitation though, so if they start again, you will know if you have a right to call and report them. When it is so close it makes you feel unsafe to be outside, and then you worry for the animals. :/
Yeah, it was so loud I really felt like I was being shot at the first time I heard it. I was really concerned for my animals too. They had been doing it for about 3-4 days prior to the day in question, so I finally got over the feeling that they were shooting at me. :p

I feel better knowing that this is considered normal for some of you guys. If they are within the range of "legal" then I'll deal with it in a polite neighborly fashion. :)

And Mandieg4, I totally agree with you, DONT WAKE UP MY KID! :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
When we shoot skeet we usually get together as a family and it will last at least a couple hours. And I'm sure the neighbors are real fond of us that day. But we only do it every 3 months or so and during daylight hours. We have neighbors down the road from us that have nice loud parties and shoot guns and fireworks in the middle of the night. Noise I can deal with during the day, even if it does sound like we are in the middle of a war. Once it is after 9pm, I'd better not hear any loud noise or I'm calling the sheriff. I don't want to deal with grouchy kids the next day because the noise kept them awake all night.
Us too, but we only shoot skeet usually once a year, and during daylight. I can't understand when its getting darker.

We only shoot with guns that don't make alot of noise, like our .22. My son got a 30/30, and we shot that once for a few round--that thing is loud!

If they are shooting guns off irresponsibly, I would be more worried about the ricochet even at a distance.

Latest posts