hair care?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I have been cruising Pintrest lately (Oh pintrest how you waste my time so well!) and I found a couple of home care recipes for hair.

I told a friend of mine that I wanted to try one and she said it sounded really scary to her and she wouldn't try it.

This is a hair repair recipe (at least that's what it was labeled... LOL)

2 T honey
1 T olive oil
1 T apple cider vinegar

Mix well in a bowl, apply to hair starting at the roots and working to the tips. Clip hair up and wait 30-60 minutes, rinse, condition if desired.

I'm willing to try it, but I'm wondering if I should make a double or triple batch because my hair is to the middle of my back.

What do you guys think?

Anybody else have any home hair care recipes? What are your results?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just melt some coconut oil and douse your hair with that, then shampoo after letting it in for half an hour. No conditioner needed afterwards.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been using baking soda as shampoo and vinegar to rinse. Both cheap and easy, my kind of recipe :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It seems a little strange to be putting oil ON your hair...unless you have the frizzies & are trying to calm it down...what am I missing here...? :/

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mandieg- how do you do that? Can you make up a bunch and just leave it in the shower or do you need to do make it each time you take a shower? Do you just use a little bit or do you use a lot? UI've thought about going "no 'poo" but I really have no idea how to actually do it! I'm a little on the "I need step by step instructions before I get it" side.... :gig

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
This just came up in another thread on saving money :)

Here is the link to the blog post on Mark's Daily Apple that changed my mind: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/going-poo-less/
I have not been using shampoo/conditioner for a year now, and I will NEVER go back. The ONE time in the entire year that I used shampoo/conditioner was when the girl that cuts my hair washed it for me before she cut it. It felt GROSS for the entire next day until I finally washed it again! That doesn't sound too bad, until you consider that I don't wash my hair every day, anymore either (conserves water and whatnot).

Anyway. I do use Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar. I keep an old sugar tub (won't be refilling it with sugar!) in the bathroom with an old scoop in it (probably just a 1 oz scoop or so), plus a gallon of ACV under the counter with a pump in it. Before each shower, I put one scoop of the baking soda into an empty spice bottle (kinda larger one, I think it originally held onion flakes or something) and then squirt one pump (which works out to be 1 ounce) into a squirt bottle and put them in the shower. When I get in the shower, I fill both with water, and then use as shampoo and conditioner. The first time I ever did this, I was able to comb STRAIGHT through my elbow length frizzy curly hair that already had a lot of split ends. I had NEVER been able to do that before.

Now that I've stuck with it for a year, if my hair starts getting split at the end, I'll take coconut oil on my hands and rub it in once I'm done towel drying it, and it dries nice and soft (and straighter!). I haven't had a hair cut in more than 6 months, and my hair is pretty darn healthy. I probably need another cut some time soon, but it is doing rather well with little fuss.

As for the original recipe, it is probably just fine. Both honey and olive oil have some pretty good skin healing properties. I would just make sure that it is natural honey from a source you trust to make sure that it doesn't have any sugars or things put in it that aren't honey :) Never do know these days.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ooooooooooh thank you for that!!
What's a sugar tub?! Our sugar comes in paper bags! (Am I missing something?! LOL)

How did you start? Did you just stop using shampoo one day and the next start the baking soda and vinegar? I'm really interested in going that route. I used to go a year or better without having a hair cut, now, my hair doesn't seem to grow, is constantly full of tangles, split ends... it's a terrible mess!

I just got a cut today and the lady was telling me about all the "products" I should get so my hair could be smooth, shiny, and tangle free. I'm trying to spend less, and be more natural, not keep piling on more chemical crap!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use a cheap plastic bowls with a screw on lid to keep my baking soda in the shower. I use 1/2 a medicine cup full of baking soda and mix with water to make a paste then scrub my hair with it. It was a little weird at first to get used to the texture of the paste and no suds. After that is rinsed out I use the same medicine cup 1/2 full of vinegar and dilute it with water before I put it on my head. I don't suppose you have to dilute it first, but the thought of getting full strength vinegar in my eyes on accident has me a little nervous.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
ooooooooooh thank you for that!!
What's a sugar tub?! Our sugar comes in paper bags! (Am I missing something?! LOL)

How did you start? Did you just stop using shampoo one day and the next start the baking soda and vinegar? I'm really interested in going that route. I used to go a year or better without having a hair cut, now, my hair doesn't seem to grow, is constantly full of tangles, split ends... it's a terrible mess!

I just got a cut today and the lady was telling me about all the "products" I should get so my hair could be smooth, shiny, and tangle free. I'm trying to spend less, and be more natural, not keep piling on more chemical crap!
We once bought a container of sugar from the store that came in a tub. I, of course, didn't refill the tub with sugar, and it works great for Baking soda in the bathroom. Plus I can grab it and use the scoop to sprinkle some if I need to clean. It was Domino sugar, and I don't know if they still have them. It actually looks like those same plastic coffee cans that folgers puts out with the black lids. Course, you can use anything that works for you :p

And yup, I just quit using my shampoo. Gave a HUGE bag of bathroom stuff away, and I am still digging things out that we don't use anymore and giving them away.

Blech on the products! I find simpler is better, and the more natural, the better. I don't trust most manufacturers anymore with anything that I can't pronounce and sounds scientific. There are still more things that I can give away, but I haven't quite come to grips with all of it yet... Still have my aveeno lotion, but that might be next to go. It is actually a petroleum based product after all.

I like the way mandieg4 does it. I have never mastered the "paste" thing with the baking soda, so I use an old spice bottle (one of the larger ones) and just add a lot of water and shake it up, then pour it over my hair and rub it around. So I almost use it like a rinse and scrub my head, and then rinse it out, rather than a "soap". I do that with the vinegar. And I have to say that pouring vinegar over your head and then having it run down freshly shaved legs, you suddenly discover how many little cuts you have!