hair care?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying that... I've got some olive oli... a TON of honey and a gallon of ACV. One of my friends told me that I'm crazy for wanting to put something like that on my hair... but... all I can think of is "It couldn't hurt!"

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't figure out what good the honey would actually do for your hair. I'd save that for eating, use the oil once in a while, AVC (or white vinegar, your hair won't care, but the diluted ACV doesn't smell quite as bad!) for conditioner replacement.

The first time I used diluted ACV, I thought that it wasn't doing anything. Wasn't I surprised!! :lol:

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So... I'll notice a difference the first time I use it??

I'm going to wash my hair today for the first time with BS&V... I'm seriously nervous! I know.. silly right?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So... I tried the BS&ACV along with the oil in my hair for an hour before. I'm amazed that I washed my hair, didn't use conditioner and I can still get my fingers thru it!! :lol:

I'm not sure I have the right BS to water ratio tho... it feels like there is still oil in my hair. I did 1 Tablespoon of soda to 1 cup of water and the same ratio for the ACV.

Is that right?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
So... I tried the BS&ACV along with the oil in my hair for an hour before. I'm amazed that I washed my hair, didn't use conditioner and I can still get my fingers thru it!! :lol:

I'm not sure I have the right BS to water ratio tho... it feels like there is still oil in my hair. I did 1 Tablespoon of soda to 1 cup of water and the same ratio for the ACV.

Is that right?
So you put oil in your hair before? What was your reasoning for that? I rarely use oil, only if I feel like my hair is a bit dry and getting tangled on days I don't wash it. And when I do use oil, I take a little bit of coconut oil, rub my hands together to get it good and slick, and then hand comb through my hair, working at the roots as well as the tips of my hair (I have long hair, down to my elbows), and then just let it air dry. I enjoy the look it gives me because my hair dries slicker and shinier, but it is definitely also oilier.
My standard treatment is just BS and ACV in the shower. The ratio of water doesn't matter, as long as you're getting your hair coated, that's really all that matters. I went a little too long between washings (oops), and so my scalp is a little itchy, so I am probably going to need to wash it again soon, and scrub my scalp good to make sure that it is clean.
The oiliness could be from using the oil before washing, and potentially not getting it out of your hair (Vinegar doesn't cut "grease" very well on its own, and I don't suspect the BS would either, so it really may not have gotten through the oil), and if you used a fair amount of oil, then that could be why. When I put coconut oil on my hair, I am only using enough to get it on my fingers, probably no more than 1/4 tsp, and then rub it in on my hands.
And no, I don't smell like Vinegar, or Coconuts!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well... the little recipe thing said to put it on.. starting at the roots and then wait 30-60 minutes and then rinse out... so... that's what I did... then I tried the BS & ACV after. I don't have any coconut oil... don't even know where to get it! I've looked at the store and have never found it. Do I have to look in a specific spot? With the ethic foods? I just don't know... LOL It doesn't feel TOO bad... just very slightly oily towards my scalp... it IS still wet tho... so *shrug*

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nachoqtpie - if I may say so - and I say it with kindness, and don't mean to be rude - but - you worry too much :lol: :hugs

Its just a hair wash. If it doesn't feel right then, quite simply, you do it a little differently next time. If it doesn't feel clean this time, then wash it again - either right away, or a little sooner than you usually do. Nothing to be nervous about; lots of people use baking soda on their hair - for some it works, for some it doesn't - but your hair isn't going to fall out, or catch on fire, or turn green. At the very, very worst you will just need to wash it again ;)

I have long hair - waist length at the moment, but I recently had DH chop about 6" off. I have an old shampoo bottle that I put about (about, I don't actually measure) 1/4 cup of baking soda in, and then fill it with water; shake it up well, and squirt some on my scalp. I massage it in, and leave it for a few minutes. I also gently work what runs down into the length of my hair. Then I rinse, and repeat. I have another shampoo bottle that I put a glug (maybe 1/2-1/3 cup) of ACV in, and fill with water. I squirt some on my head, rub it in, run it through the length of my hair, and let it stay there while I finish washing the rest of me. Then I rinse it out. Finished! I find that sometimes my scalp doesn't feel quite clean at this point, but much better after my hair dries. I leave the bottles in the shower, and continue to use until empty - shake the one with baking soda before use.

I find coconut oil in the natural foods section at the supermarket, with the other oils. It is solid at low room temperature (where it usually is, in my house). I scoop some into a decorative bowl with a lid, and leave it in the bathroom. I smear a bit on my face at bedtime (very nice feeling!), and sometimes I will work some into the length of my hair, not my scalp. I do this the night before a shampoo, braid my hair, and let it soak in all night (towel over the pillow); but if that's too icky, I would recommend just working it in an hour or so before the wash. You will probably want to work some more baking soda sloution into the part with oil to remove it during the wash. Between the oil and the vinegar I find I have fewer tangles.

Oh, one more thing, I wash my hair about twice a week, every 3-4 days. That is all it needs. If your hair needs washing every day or two then you might want to just use the baking soda once per wash, rather than twice. I don't know for sure, but it might be too drying otherwise.

However, the best thing for you to do is, stop worrying, and just do it! :lol: And keep at it until, either, you find what works, or you decide that it doesn't work for you, and then try something else.

:hugs

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I absolutely love ACV as a rinse. It detangles my hair nicely. I cannot use baking soda, it burns me. Tried going pooless twice. Two weeks in it was still horried greaseball. I do like dilute Dr Bronners soap followed by ACV. Nice peppermint scent is cooling in summer, too.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a HORRIBLE worry wart... I'm not in the slightest bit offended. :lol:

Usually when I try something new I want to make sure that I'm doing it right.... then after a few tries I either decide that what I'm doing is either wrong or right, and how I can fix or improve on it if I want to continue doing it.

But on THIS occasion... LOL I simply didn't know if was diluting the soda too much because I had seen some say that they rub the paste in... mine totally wasn't paste... LOL

Now that my hair is more dry, it is a tiny bit oily, but not terribly so. It's super soft and my natural curl seems to have come out in full force! I can't really tell if it's shinier, but I'll ask the hubsters when he comes home. It looks really great! So... I must have done something right! :weee ;)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Well... the little recipe thing said to put it on.. starting at the roots and then wait 30-60 minutes and then rinse out... so... that's what I did... then I tried the BS & ACV after. I don't have any coconut oil... don't even know where to get it! I've looked at the store and have never found it. Do I have to look in a specific spot? With the ethic foods? I just don't know... LOL It doesn't feel TOO bad... just very slightly oily towards my scalp... it IS still wet tho... so *shrug*
Some stores don't carry coconut oil, or if they do, they carry it in small expensive jars. I get a lot of my stuff from www.vitacost.com They have free shipping over $49.00, and they have really good deals on a lot of things. They are one of the cheapest places that I have found for most stuff like this. I buy the biggest coconut oil I can get, I think the jar has maroon and white on it, can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

And don't be a worry wort, even if something does "go wrong" it won't be that bad and it'll make for a funny story later :p I have to say that I can really relate to wanting to know ALL the details before I do something!! :D

I use coconut oil as lotion now, just about the only thing I use actually.