hair care?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
Ok, I've been doing the BS and ACV for a couple of weeks now and I'm not liking the oiliness. My hair gets SO oily! I've never washed it every day, it just can't take all that. Should I start doing every day with the BS? I've read that it can take up to a couple of months for things to regulate. I have a fairly sensitive system that doesn't like change but will adapt and hang onto a certain way of doing things. Could it be that it is just taking some time for my scalp to adjust accordingly?

Oh- I'm using about 2 Tbsp per wash, more if its extra oily and only a few drops of ACV. (1Tbsp diluted into 8oz water, about a tablespoon of that per wash)
How much hair do you have? I use 1 scoop from an old oxiclean tub (probably a bit more than a tablespoon I'd guess) of BS for may hair, and it is long, down to my elbows. I also use about an ounce of ACV diluted into a soap squirt bottle, and then squirted onto my hair.

Way back somewhere towards the beginning I posted a link to Mark's Daily Apple blog that talks about going "poo-less", you might want to read the comments on that blog post, there are lots of people with different experiences that talk about what they've done. You might find some assistance there.

It is possible that your body won't adjust. But that doesn't mean you have to go back to your old 'poo. There are things called shampoo bars, I've never seen them, and don't know how they work, but it could be another option.

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
Ok, I've been doing the BS and ACV for a couple of weeks now and I'm not liking the oiliness. My hair gets SO oily! I've never washed it every day, it just can't take all that. Should I start doing every day with the BS? I've read that it can take up to a couple of months for things to regulate. I have a fairly sensitive system that doesn't like change but will adapt and hang onto a certain way of doing things. Could it be that it is just taking some time for my scalp to adjust accordingly?

Oh- I'm using about 2 Tbsp per wash, more if its extra oily and only a few drops of ACV. (1Tbsp diluted into 8oz water, about a tablespoon of that per wash)
I am having the same problem. I cannot stand the oilness. Even right after I wash it is oily Thought about waiting to do this, this summer whenI wash everyday cuz of the heat

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
dma1974 said:

How much hair do you have? I use 1 scoop from an old oxiclean tub (probably a bit more than a tablespoon I'd guess) of BS for may hair, and it is long, down to my elbows. I also use about an ounce of ACV diluted into a soap squirt bottle, and then squirted onto my hair.

Way back somewhere towards the beginning I posted a link to Mark's Daily Apple blog that talks about going "poo-less", you might want to read the comments on that blog post, there are lots of people with different experiences that talk about what they've done. You might find some assistance there.

It is possible that your body won't adjust. But that doesn't mean you have to go back to your old 'poo. There are things called shampoo bars, I've never seen them, and don't know how they work, but it could be another option.
I have medium length, a little below the shoulders, medium-fine hair. I don't have a lot of hair but it is pulled up more often than not. I'm going to keep trying and adjusting the amount. I guess I won't know unless I stick to the same amount for at least eight weeks. It gets greasier a lot faster than when I use 'poo. Maybe that's ok and I just need to wash it every day? I think I'll try that for a while. After all, isn't that what I'd do if I were using shampoo, just wash more?

hqueen13

Reaction score
dma1974 said:
I have medium length, a little below the shoulders, medium-fine hair. I don't have a lot of hair but it is pulled up more often than not. I'm going to keep trying and adjusting the amount. I guess I won't know unless I stick to the same amount for at least eight weeks. It gets greasier a lot faster than when I use 'poo. Maybe that's ok and I just need to wash it every day? I think I'll try that for a while. After all, isn't that what I'd do if I were using shampoo, just wash more?
Then it could be more BS than you really need. Maybe it is over stripping your hair, which is why the excess oil. Or your hair just needs more time to adjust :) Check those comments, I am sure I remember someone going through that ordeal and talking about how long it took them to get through that phase.
Good luck :) Just getting away from the chemicals is a great step!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks, I've read them, I just wanted some real-time advice :) I'm going to keep trying until i find the right combo. I hadn't considered the stripping part or that the BS could be more powerful than shampoo in that department.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not to mention that the ACV could be an astringent to your hair and scalp. That's a double stripping of the oils. I'm wondering if just the ACV would be enough...

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
thanks, I've read them, I just wanted some real-time advice :) I'm going to keep trying until i find the right combo. I hadn't considered the stripping part or that the BS could be more powerful than shampoo in that department.
try this::::after you wash your hair with the bs...rinse you hair with cool water until you feel most of the warmth out of your hair and for as long as you can stand..let the cool water run over your hair for atleast 2 min. then pour the acv all over your hair then rinse with cool water again. i have been washing my hair with an oily shampoo on purpose because i was using some awful shampoo. my hair got super super nasty so i bought keracare and its great but its not for white girls but i dont care cause it worked a miracle. even if it requires a chilly shower for 4 min.

edited to say i have thin oily hair naturally and even though that shampoo is an oily shampoo doing the cold water thing seems to help alot. i can wash my hair with my shampoo 3x a week and just do thecool rinse 4x a week.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I have thin, oily and short (right now) hair. Have been doing the baking soda and ACV for about a month now. We both wash our hair every other day in the winter. My hair is doing well and actually looks good the second day as is DHs, who has long normal hair.

I mix it more long term.

About 1/2 cup of baking soda in a standard ketchup bottle and fill with water. About 1/4 cup of acv in a standard ketchup bottle and fill with water. Yes, it is cold on a cool morning but I just won't do it if I have to mix it every morning.

hqueen13

Reaction score
snapshot said:
About 1/2 cup of baking soda in a standard ketchup bottle and fill with water. About 1/4 cup of acv in a standard ketchup bottle and fill with water. Yes, it is cold on a cool morning but I just won't do it if I have to mix it every morning.
Maybe using more would help those with oily hair? I never tried since mine seemed alright.

I mix mine up when I get into the shower, I just grab the two bottles out of the shower before I start the hot water to get warm (takes FOREVER, I hate wasting water, but turning blue in cold water is not a good option), and add my scoop of BS and then the squirt of ACV to each bottle and put them into the shower, and fill them up each when I am ready to use it. Otherwise I find that the water was too chilly sitting in the bottle and I dislike squirting cold water on my head! LOL