hair care?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:celebrate
Hubs says that he wants to start growing his hair out again. After 8.5 years of Marine Corps hair cuts, he wants to have longer hair again. He's going to grow it out for a little bit longer, then get a haircut to even it out, and then just start growing it. I'm hoping that his Native side comes out a little more after he stops using shampoo and conditioner and his hair won't be so puffy when it gets a bit longer!! :gig

ETA: spelling mistake

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I've used this method three times now and my hair does just great. DH (who has very long thick hair) started it today and he is sold also. He waited to see how I did first! LOL

How do you do the citrus vinegar rinse?
I soak orange peels in vinegar for about a week and then use about 1/4 cup of vinegar mixed with about 1 cup of water- swish together and pour all over hair, let sit on hair for a couple of minutes and then rinse. The citrus helps to control frizzy flyaways. I have read that you could add citric acid (like what you would use for canning or some people use lemon juice instead of vinegar- you just have to figure out what works the best for your hair.)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ohhhh BarefootMom, I am going to have to try that!! I have crazy frizz and it drives me nuts!

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
snapshot said:
What does anyone use who has oily and fine hair? I keep seeing about dry and thick hair.
I have fine hair that tends to get oily and I just switched to Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar. I love it! It doesn't dry my hair at all. I already have healthy hair overall so if anything the baking soda and vinegar has made an improvement. It certainly isn't worse.

I only made the switch this week and am still learning to adjust the amounts I use but so far so good.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize the date or that this was already answered. :D

Anyhow, I'm loving the BS/ACV thing. I'm switching my daughter to it next but I might try the lemon juice for us. She's blonde (baby 3-y-o blonde) and I'm brown but was blonde as a kid. I think the lemon will be nice in our hair.

fbh

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
It seems a little strange to be putting oil ON your hair...unless you have the frizzies & are trying to calm it down...what am I missing here...? :/
Actually olive oil is very moisturing as is honey and both are good for your hair and your skin. Now if you have over oily hair, I wouldn't put the oil on hair.

As far as someone's friend saying the "recipe" was scarey, if she doesn't think all that stuff that is in commerically made creams, shampoos, conditioners etc (not to even mention what goes INTO her body) is not scarey, she might need to start educating herself.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been poo free for 1 month now and am loving it! whoo who!

I even got a compliment on my hair from my sister last night - she asked me what kind of gel I had been using and she was sure shocked when I told her nothing! My curls are so much better now - I had just about lost all the natural curl from my hair since having kids and now it is back!

fbh

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
BarefootMom said:
snapshot said:
I've used this method three times now and my hair does just great. DH (who has very long thick hair) started it today and he is sold also. He waited to see how I did first! LOL

I soak orange peels in vinegar for about a week and then use about 1/4 cup of vinegar mixed with about 1 cup of water- swish together and pour all over hair, let sit on hair for a couple of minutes and then rinse. The citrus helps to control frizzy flyaways. I have read that you could add citric acid (like what you would use for canning or some people use lemon juice instead of vinegar- you just have to figure out what works the best for your hair.)
Very good, I make my one and only household cleaner the same way, lol. I soak orange peels in vinegar for 3 - 5 days, pour off the vinegar into a spray bottle, cover the orange peels again, sometimes add more, I put some cloves in mine, and clean (dust), wipe down the counters, clean up spills, etc and etc.

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
fbh said:
BarefootMom said:
snapshot said:

Very good, I make my one and only household cleaner the same way, lol. I soak orange peels in vinegar for 3 - 5 days, pour off the vinegar into a spray bottle, cover the orange peels again, sometimes add more, I put some cloves in mine, and clean (dust), wipe down the counters, clean up spills, etc and etc.
OK are you useing ACV or regular vinegar to make the citrus rinise? I have used the BS/ACV once. Hair was oily the next day, am going to try it for at least a week to see how it does