Half gallon beer bottle-uses?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Friends brought a half gallon bottle of a locally brewed beer to our dinner party last night. I now have a half gallon brown bottle with a handle and a screw cap. I could return it for the $1.50 deposit but I can't help thinking I could use it for making vinegar or something. Any ideas?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, I guess when you post after midnight, you're just asking for a thread to languish! I'm sure someone has an idea for this little jug!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Is it pretty or interesting? Narrow mouth? I would probably use it for homemade drinks like iced tea. Vinegar would be great!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i used to have a recipe for Kaluah that had to sit for a few weeks in a jug like that.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Put home made maple syrup in it.. Or maybe different flavor syrup..

If the opening is large enough.. Use it for a change jar.. I have a clear gallon wine jug from the store. I use it to put all my spare change in it.. To save for a rainy day..

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Lamp base.
There is a drill bit you can get for your drill that cuts glass. Drill low on the side for the cord, not on bottom.
Buy a lamp kit and a shade and put it together.
If it's a transparent brown you can fill the jug with stuff like pebbles or shells after you place the lamp guts in.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have 2 of them. Go to your local home brew supply place and get a drilled rubber stopper and an airlock. Make a couple of mini-batches of mead :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
i used to have a recipe for Kaluah that had to sit for a few weeks in a jug like that.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Okay, it's definitely staying, whether it gets used for mead, syrup, beer vinegar or Kahlua! :cool:
We'll just have to go to the package store where our friends got it to get it a mate! The lamp idea has great potential too. DH has done stuff like that before.