Hand Crank Clothes Washers?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So our washing machine is now leaking. DH has been taking the laundry to the washhouse, but is tired of spending the quarters. He asked me last night about these and wants to hang up our clothesline :celebrate
I know next to nothing: You put in the clothes, add detergent & water, then crank. No idea how well they work, how efficient they are, etc.
Anybody use one? Have any experience with one or other alternatives to the standard, plugged in, water wasting washers?

Here's a link to the type he's talking about: http://www.cleanairgardening.com/portable-washing-machine.html

ETA: I'm not sure if this is the correct category for this, mods, do what thou wilt! :D

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It looks awfully small to me.

I have a wringer washer. One of those that you fill with water and wash the clothes and then send them through a wringer into the first rinse tub. Then work by hand and put through the wringer into the second rinse tub to be worked again and through the wringer to a laundry basket and off to dry. It does use electricity but, a lot less water than the automatic washer does.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have seen that somewhere....maybe on here...before. I think they said it leaked and you had to use it in the bathtub or something.
I think it would be really handy especially if the power is out for a long period of time or for taking camping. But, we have so much laundry here at my house that that would not be practical.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Like Pam, it may work for our family but for me, the time cost is what would nix it. I like only "working" on my wash for 15-30 minutes total. I would be doing laundry all day if I had to wash it by hand.

ETA: We have a front load washer and it is pretty efficient water-wise.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
With 6 of us, I think I would have to find a way to repair or replace the washer!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats what I'm afraid of, it being too small. Family of 4 with all of us getting dirty at least a couple of times a week. I'm beginning to believe we'll be down to a cauldron in the front yard! :lol:

Hey Frosting! :welcome

Hmmm, do you have a picture, Frosting? Or a link?

Unlike some, I still do the sniff test like a college football player, so I don't wash my clothes unless they have something on them or smell something other than fresh. Even then, I find that hanging them outside for a couple of hours will really freshen them up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I tell you this, an old wringer washer with the crank wringer is worth its weight in gold when wanting to go nonelectric. We used to use one. Ittakes a good bit of water hauling to do up all the laundry but you also learn to wash the "cleanest" dirty clothes first and reuse your water for the dirty old work clothes. We just filled it up with water, both sides, and used detergent in one side and washed clothes using a washboard.

Its a workout but you appreciate your clean clothes so much more.......and its a job that kids can participate in. These old wringer washers have the type of arm on the mangle/wringer that swing out so they fall right into a laundry basket after the rinsing.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As my long-term goal is to be completely self-sufficient, it might be worth the physical labor involved. You really come to understand why certain days were reserved for certain chores. They took so much time and effort that you only wanted to do them once a week or so. Or once a year, like soap making & candle making.

This is the way we wash our clothes, wash our clothes, wash our clothes...

Thanks everybody for the tips!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Remember, back in the day, there was a "laundry day" of the week. The whole day was spent on doing laundry.

IMO, or should I say in my life as it is right now, I could not handle that amount of time devoted to laundry! Only in emergency situations. Or if I was totally stay-at-home with no tugs on my time.

I've done the wash-in-the-bathtub and hang to dry bit in my younger single days when even a quarter was scarce. But now, it is just not an efficient use of my time. For $1.50 a load, it would save me enough time to make that worthwhile until a new washer could be installed. When we've had washer problems, I go to the laundromat when it is mostly empty, and wash and dry all my loads at once, or just wash them and bring them home for drying.

Let's say I'm pretty fast and energetic and get two loads done an hour. That is $3 per hour for my time. I'd rather search the sofa cushions and the car for coins, sell a couple dozen eggs, and go get the laundry done quickly.

Of course, that is me, and not so ss!!! Also, doing all the laundry for me and dh and both of our massage therapy practices.....I ALWAYS have a load in both the washer and dryer, it seems. So your situation is probably very different.

But if you are looking for justification for getting another machine or going to the laundomat, here ya go, girl!