Hand Crank Clothes Washers?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have that kind of life again? Saturday is baking day, Sunday the sabbath, Monday is laundry, Tuesday is cleaning, etc., etc.

Nothing else to distract us but simple chores.

And at the end of each day one could look back on what one had accomplished and sigh with pleasure.....and then sleep like the dead all night! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sigh.....yes....no phones or tv, and no modern day pressures. All Farmer Boy all the time!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think they described their larders as groaning with surplus.....and the barns full to bursting! :love

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I had one of those washers once...picked it up at a second hand store for $5 because I found it interesting. I used it once to try it, was not really impressed. I think it held two or three pairs of jeans. Anyway I kept it around for a while and finally gave it away. Would I buy another? I'd probably be better off washing clothes in the bathrub to tell the honest truth, it would be quicker.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
A large load is FIVE POUNDS. (per the ad: Five pounds of clothes is equal to approximately 10 shirts or 2 pairs of jeans. Avoid overloading the washing chamber and only tighten the screws a moderate amount. The washing machine is durable and sturdy, and it will last for a long time if you exercise common sense while using it.)

They don't say 10 toddler shirts or 2 pairs of men's 36" inseam flannel lined jeans. Which means to be safe and not overload, you would have to weigh each load until you got a feel for how much you could put into it at one time.

Sounds to me like you'd be doing NOTHING except laundry at that rate. :rolleyes:

When I was growing up, my mom had a Maytag wringer washer. It worked until 1972, when she bought an automatic Maytag.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, DH was NOT impressed. His actual words were "Forget that! At 2 jeans per load, I'd be washing all day, and then you'd have to take over when you got home" I found out my work place sells the larger washboards for around $10. I'm thinking bathtub with board or laundrymat as we have the available cash, until we can save enough to get a wringer washer, similar to the one Frosting has. I'd like to have one that could operate both with power supply & without. Best of both worlds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Lehman's has them but they are out of this world expensive! I'd advertise.....you never know who might like to get rid of grandma's old "junk"! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In my area too.....not enough folks giving away stuff around here. I tried to give away a car on there and no one would take it! It was in excellent shape(body and interior) but needed engine repair....had new tires and battery, new exhaust and everything......no takers! I finally gave it to the guy at the garage where it was parked and he hauled it off for scrap metal. :(