Handbook of Indigenous Fermented Foods

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Read the intoduction to the book,not really my bag, sounds like weird science to me...lol However, everything has its place it the food chain i suppose.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Weird. What I linked to was a PDF of the book, but now all I'm getting is the Google books page. Well, I was saving it for a rainy day, but now I don't need to :p.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Read the intoduction to the book,not really my bag, sounds like weird science to me...lol However, everything has its place it the food chain i suppose.
"Weird science"? Now I am curious; in what way? Do you mean fermentation in general, or did you see something specific in what you read? I think fermentation is kind of neat, but I am curious about what you mean.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
No i don't mean fermented foods are weird, i just thought the introduction to the book sounded like weird science to me.
When i think of fermented foods, i just don't think of this line i read in the introduction to the book.
"Philosophy, theory or investigation of principles that regulate the universe and underlife"...huh...? To me its just weird, thats what i mean. I think fermention is cool too, i just don't get where this guy is coming from.To each his or her own, just my 2 cents...:)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
No i don't mean fermented foods are weird, i just thought the introduction to the book sounded like weird science to me.
When i think of fermented foods, i just don't think of this line i read in the introduction to the book.
"Philosophy, theory or investigation of principles that regulate the universe and underlife"...huh...? To me its just weird, thats what i mean. I think fermention is cool too, i just don't get where this guy is coming from.To each his or her own, just my 2 cents...:)
Thanks for your reply. I admit to not having read the intro., and so didn't see that. I was looking up, specifically, Indian rice and legume ferments (idli and dosa) when I saw this on my google search, and decided to put it aside for when I had a bit more time - but now all I am getting is the google books page. I'll look more closely at the intro. if I can find the PDF file again.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I was looking up, specifically, Indian rice and legume ferments (idli and dosa)
ORChick if you are still researching info on these ferments this might interest you....I found it when researching dosas the other day

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/idli-dosa-faqs-how-to-make-perfect-idlis-and-dosas/

The comments at the bottom of the article are very interesting too !

[EDITED TO ADD : I also found this page & the other links within it to be very interesting as I am a comparative beginner in this area of food preparation.

http://alexinferment.com/FermentedFood.html

I thought it might enlighten other beginners....it certainly did me. ]

Hattie :frow

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Your welcome,i don't know much about Indian foods.I can understand the links Hattie posted about fermantation and Indian foods.That guys writings, in the link you posted, just flew over my head, couldn't see the link between fermenting foods/beverages and his philosophy....