Happy Thanksgivin' all you all

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide whether to do turkeys next year, or switch to Jersey Giants. Maybe a combination, so we can have a variety.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide whether to do turkeys next year, or switch to Jersey Giants. Maybe a combination, so we can have a variety.

I was thinking I would like to try midget White Turkey. My wife and I both love turkey and they say it's pretty good for you. Since it's just the two of us at home, it would be nice to eat turkey every now and then without having a huge bird for leftovers. I still would keep my bourbon reds though, because they are a good holiday bird and I like raising them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could always butcher the Turkey earlier, smaller, then cut it in half to freeze.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No home grown turkey here. I cooked a 20# bird. He barely fit in the roasting pan, had to tin foil tent b/c lid wouldn't fit. Must have been a new kind of hybrid, cause he had 2 tails. Folks took some home, I picked the carcass, got 4 bags of meat, 2 bags of doggie scraps. cooking down the remains into broth. There should be an other 3 - 4 bags of animal scraps. Will give the bones to the chickens to pick over. Then the bones will be tossed into the wood stove to make bone char. The only "left overs" from that carcass will be the plastic wrapping and leg truss!

I see turkey shepherd's pie, turkey tacos, turkey stew, turkey salad sandwiches in our future! Lots of easy meals to come.

Last edited:

Latest posts