Mr. Thanksgivin' cleans up nice :)
IMG_20191124_155646681.jpg

IMG_20191124_154449423.jpg

IMG_20191124_150729014.jpg

IMG_20191124_150724068.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not fond of liver either... But, liver from freshly processed, home raised chicken, fried up in bacon fat... That's a different story! YUM!!!

Hubby shared an internet statement with me last night. Let's see if I can get it right?

"Scientists are bragging because they can take plants and make them taste like beef."

"I don't know why they are so proud of that. Cows have been doing it since the beginning of time."

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't "shop" for Thanksgiving...everything is here. Not even cooking, as it turns out. Will probably have a MW baked sweet potato later, maybe. I have a small pan of eggplant parm calling to me. Never even took turkey from freezer.

Saw an interesting recipe for Butternut & goat cheese....seasoned with rosemary, salt/pepper, little milk to thin if needed. So the butternut was cook and mashed, add cheese, seasoning and whip. Not a huge rosemary fan but, obviously that would be changed out if wanted. I grow the squash and make the cheese. Winner with the uses. Will try.

CL -- I'm waiting to see a pic of that turkey all roasted up.....may only get to see a carcass. :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I suggested to DH that maybe I should raise a couple turkeys for us and family. He nixed that idea. Maybe sometime in the future, after I get the Meat-Bird tractor system working I will broach the subject again.

Honestly, I would rather raise turkeys than chickens, they are a lot easier. Besides the basics, they need a run with both shade and sun. Some days the like to sun bathe but on days that I think they would like to sun bathe, they hang out in the shade. They prefer sleeping under the stars. Unless they are in lay then they then hens are sitting on eggs under cover. Mine keep their distance from me and are not in the least agreesive, even while sitting on eggs.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Home grown chicken, even CCX, is soooo much better than store bought, I can only imagine how good a home grown Turkey is.

Bourbon reds used to be the thanksgiving turkey in the 20's. They taste a lot different than BB. They are rich in tasting. The best way i can describe the flavor is, like a cross between BB and wild turkey. We really like them and that's what counts for us.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad we don't have anywhere to go. We have about a foot of snow in our driveway, and the road to the highway hasn't been plowed either. Whatever I missed in my shopping for our Thanksgiving feast we will just have to make do without.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We just came in from doing in Miss Truly Delicious... we need to take her down to the Gospel Mission tomorrow. The 2 toms will get done after Thanksgiving probably, because I'm teaching the Tai Chi classes Monday and Wednesday so we'll be crunched for time. It's only 3 of us anyway; I bought a nice smoked ham from the local butcher instead.

Latest posts