Has anyone built their own house?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
i am going very unconventional and considering biulding a home using shipping containers
they are hurricane proof waterproof and airtight
you can purchase one for 1500.00 but the shipping to get it to your sight cost hundreds
i am going to need 6 so i will also have to hire someone with a crane to stack them
there are some really nice designs this is one awesome design

http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/container_house5.jpg

thats not the design i have in mind but thats just an example

for 9,000 i can have a solid structure and im sure the cost of bricks is more than that for a 3,000 sq ft house
Ive seen this before, but didn't know how much they cost...sounds really reasonable.

Oh, and WELCOME!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
elijahboy said:
i am going very unconventional and considering biulding a home using shipping containers
you can purchase one for 1500.00 but the shipping to get it to your sight cost hundreds
i am going to need 6 so i will also have to hire someone with a crane to stack them

for 9,000 i can have a solid structure and im sure the cost of bricks is more than that for a 3,000 sq ft house
Ive seen this before, but didn't know how much they cost...sounds really reasonable.

Oh, and WELCOME!
that one is located in cali i believe and its now worth 1.5 mil and they spent less than 500,000 to build however i wont build one quite that nice im looking at buying most of the supplies used or at a discount and cant imagine the house i build being more than 60,000 for a grand 3000 sq ft

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KarenLeaf,

Your greenhouse looks great! Do you heat it in March?

I had been thinking of a design like that but worry about our high winds that we get, gusts 70mph sometimes!
Do you know if there is an other option to the plastic for the cover in that design that is more durable in wind?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
big brown horse said:
elijahboy said:

Oh, and WELCOME!
that one is located in cali i believe and its now worth 1.5 mil and they spent less than 500,000 to build however i wont build one quite that nice im looking at buying most of the supplies used or at a discount and cant imagine the house i build being more than 60,000 for a grand 3000 sq ft
The one I saw featured on T.V. looked more like a really cool tree house and it had a wonderful courtyard with a water wall feature...all done the GREEN way.

Can't wait to hear about your progress... and take photos too!
:pop

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It doesn't look like you'll go this route, but here's what my parent's did! They took a class on log home building, then built their own.

Random046-1.jpg

Terrible picture, but it's all I have right now. (I've posted this before but it might be buried in my journal, so here it is again) It's basically underneath the big maple, and the roof is green composition, so you can't even see it from Google Earth!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We want to build out house out of concrete blocks. Some people from church were going to help us, but dad passed and we got his old place and now they are going to help us build an extra room on the mobile home since there are five of us in a two bedroom mobile home. We still have all the stuff to build the concrete block home now we just have more time.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, my mom owns it. I think it is a perfect home for either one person, or a couple. NOT cool when you have a kid. The upstairs is a loft, so growing up I had no bedroom door or walls for that matter. We did what we could with wardrobes and such, but it was still not fun for a teenage girl! (I was not born when the place was built)

We have a nice wood stove, with no other heat except a tiny built in one in the bathroom. It's old fashioned, so there are only two small windows downstairs, so there are no drafts. And in the summer it stays cool, and in the winter, stays warm. We added three skylights upstairs, but quickly realized that it threw everything off. We started being too hot or too cold. So now we have black-out covers for when we need to block the sun or snow.

I like that when the power goes out, hey, no big deal! You don't have to huddle in one room, because the fireplace easily heats the whole house. No walls to paint, or drywall to fix when it gets nicked, or paint over. Eventually I'd like a place like it. Only with a built in dishwasher. Ours is on wheels...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Yeah, my mom owns it. I think it is a perfect home for either one person, or a couple. NOT cool when you have a kid. The upstairs is a loft, so growing up I had no bedroom door or walls for that matter. We did what we could with wardrobes and such, but it was still not fun for a teenage girl! (I was not born when the place was built)

We have a nice wood stove, with no other heat except a tiny built in one in the bathroom. It's old fashioned, so there are only two small windows downstairs, so there are no drafts. And in the summer it stays cool, and in the winter, stays warm. We added three skylights upstairs, but quickly realized that it threw everything off. We started being too hot or too cold. So now we have black-out covers for when we need to block the sun or snow.

I like that when the power goes out, hey, no big deal! You don't have to huddle in one room, because the fireplace easily heats the whole house. No walls to paint, or drywall to fix when it gets nicked, or paint over. Eventually I'd like a place like it. Only with a built in dishwasher. Ours is on wheels...
Sounds like my dream house!! :love

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DM check out the house on post #40. Pretty cool hua? I've seen them made into more contemporary/modern homes on a show I watched on HGTV once. I like this style, but it is too big for me.