Has anyone built their own house?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I found a shipping container home built in B.C. Canada that was made from about 6 shipping containers. They really did a great job on the inside. You wouldn't know it was a stack of shipping containers.
That looks like the one I saw on HGTV. Very cool! But I like the one you posted (the ecopod)better, it is more my size.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
The ecopod! Yeah, I like it because it is something you could have set down and that would be it . . . well, assuming you had a foundation prepared already. :)

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm looking at tiny houses like Tiny Texas Houses or Tumbleweed houses. I have a friend who bought a cabin from Tuff Shed, through Home Depot that's about 1200 sq ft including the loft for about $35,000. She uses it for her hunters but I could easily live in it!

If you want to see some pics -

http://www.simplyforties.com/2009/08/cabin-in-box.html

I think it's a neat idea.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We've been borrowing the Little House on the Prairie DVD's from my parents (started with Season 1, we're into Season 2 now). I told DH I would like to build a shack like they have for the Ingalls on that show! :D I think we could insulate it a bit better first, though!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ibreatheuw said:
My husband and I built our own house. We wanted a country home, and built it back about 2,000 feet from the road (can't see us from the road), in the middle of about 56 acres. My husband is an electrical contractor (and pretty self-sufficient about everything else too), so he did most all of the physical labor himself. He hired help, but did everything himself. We made the mistake of hiring a sheetrock finisher, mainly because we didn't want to do it ourselves, but wound up REDOING it anyway, because we weren't happy with their "professional" job.

It took us about 3 years to complete it, because we paid for everything ourselves as we went (not wanting a mortgage), and we are still a constant work in progress (my husband is talking about adding a deck now), but the result is a simple ranch home, just over 4,000 square feet, that we put our blood, sweat, and tears (literally) into. It is simple by some people's standards, but it is a mansion to me. And I love to call it home.
OMG, 2000 ft?! Is that actually how long your driveway is?!

We have a 900ft driveway and that is bad enough!! especially with winter snow.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have not built my own house yet but my sister did. I hope within the next 5 years or so to accomplish that goal myself.

Personally I have remodeled an old house and learned most of what is necessary to learn to actually build my own. I have totally rewired, re-plumbed and almost completely re-insulated and re-sheet rocked my old house by myself.

Things that I have learned:

1) The planning stage is the worst part. Be sure your house is situated in the best possible place on your site. It really is about location, location, location!

2) Realize and remember that somethings SEEM to be expensive at the time, but are priceless later. example: My sister dug an extra deep basement for her house and sited it so it has a walk out. It cost more to have the dozer work done, more for the forms and concrete etc... but now her basement is light and bright with a 8 foot plus finished ceiling and added lots of valuable living space.

3) A kitchen can never have too many electric circuits and outlets! My kitchen went from 2 (!) outlets on a shared circuit to an outlet every foot and 7 circuits spreading the load for microwave, refrigerator, lights, future garbage disposal and dishwasher, and several GFCI protected outlet circuits for small appliances.

4) Plan ahead for the future. I have a natural gas stove yet I ran a conduit and box for a future electric stove and placed properly wired outlets for a garbage disposal and dishwasher - even though I personally will never have those things. Planning like this costs little when the walls are open and easily accessible.

5) Do the jobs you can and PAY for someone ELSE to do the awful stuff. This will ensure that you can actually move into your house someday! Some jobs you like and will work on until you get done. (for me wiring :D ) Other jobs (sheet rocking the ceiling! or roofing! :sick ) you hate so much you tend to avoid them. Sheet rocking is fine ... I like it. Sheet rocking a ceiling is why God made money!! :D

6) Use experts when necessary and TRY to meet local codes (even if you don't have to) they are there to keep people safe. It is no good to build a house and have it fall down later.

7) Go ahead and SPLURGE! By the thicker sheet rock it is still pretty cheap. Build a thicker outer wall and add that extra insulation! It will pay you later in a better house.

8) Go ahead and SCRIMP! A two piece standard toilet flushes the waste down ... just like a one piece copper one. When the cheaper one wears out you will be better able to make an educated opinion on the replacement.

9) Bigger is NOT better ... it just has a higher heating bill.

10) Tiny is not always so fun either. Try to remember how YOUR family lives when building your house.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh,

We are renovating our "old house" and man can I say, location is everything! This house is located up at a 900ft driveway which is often a huge pain in the butt.

We have a Propane stove, can't get natural gas out here, Propane is really nice though :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When I build (note: I am saying WHEN these days! :D ) I am planning on a mostly electric house. I think it is the wave of the future and with possible solar or wind power - just thinking ahead. I would best like an out door wood furnace with electric backup, tankless electric hot water heaters and a PROPANE stove and dryer! Some things are better done with gas whenever possible. ... Of course I would ALSO like a wood cook stove! ;)