Has anyone reused their flat lids for canning?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They say that you can reuse the rings, too, as long as they are not stretched or damaged. So store them well-protected, I guess. And you can get a lot of use from them if you flip them each time, and you can tell by the way the jar makes an indentation on them.

I seriously hope these are as good as they sound. I can't wait to try them. Of course, I will report here on my experiments.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep looking at these Tattler's and I wonder why I've not ever heard of them before if they've been around since the 70's. But I'm guessing they must not be a very big company and only produce when there's a big demand and of course, I am probably wrong about that. But no matter, I think I'm gonna get some.
The cost really isn't too much considering they would pay for themselves in no time. Though I may have to sweet talk DH to invest about $100-$120 to get atleast 2 orders of each size, plus some extra rings as backup. And that still won't be enough but a good start. (gonna have to wait for payday or two or three)

I just wondered if it would be possible to just order the rubber rings and use them with used metal flat lids? hmmmmmm, that would be worth a try, but I don't think the metal lids could be used more than 2 or 3 times this way. That is IF they'd even fit together. :idunno

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just took the plunge and ordered 3 dozen wide mouth lids and rings. thanks for the link....hope they work. With those rubber rings I don't know why they wouldn't. All canning use to be done that way once upon a time. My mom always resued her rubber rings. I think the new canning lids are just a planned obsolence to keep you buying buying buying

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
According to their site, the rubber rings can also be used many times if they are stored properly and turned over each time they are used, and you can tell which side was used last by the indentation. Any rubber lasts longer if not exposed to air, so I would thing a ziploc freezer bag would do the trick. Store them flat, too.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and I got the idea somewhere, not sure where, that the company sold these reusable lids during the last canning craze in the 70's then were basically out of business when canning faded. Now the son? has started up again, now that canning is taking off again.

At my age, these will be a once in a lifetime purchase!

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
In Jackie Clays Lastest "ask Jackie" someone asked her about them, she had not heard of them, but did some research to find all positive coments. She told readers to send her some samples and she would post her findings :)