Have a Yard Sale - Pay a $100,000 Fine

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
"Americans who slap $1 price tags on their used possessions at garage sales or bazaar events risk being slapped with fines of up to $15 million, thanks to a new government campaign."

Link to the story here .

While not directed directly at the family yard sale, all it takes is one irate bureaucrat. How many other laws were passes that have originally had one group in mind and was later expanded to include others, when there was no safeguard to prevent it.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have heard that there are a lot of parallels between that Consumer Protection Act and the HR 875 Food Safety & Modernization Act.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Have the crafters who use paints on their creations had problems from this policy? I read earlier in the spring about this from that angle.

WWolf

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
After reading this article, I have an idea for what should be piling up in landfills... Politicians !!! It's amazing to me, how soooo much bent up thought and BS could go into that kind of legislation and not a moment's thought for how simple life and nature actually WORK !

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Better to prepare for more items in landfills then... ?
maybe instead more bartering and trading... just an idea

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Does anybody read the whole thing?

"Those who resell recalled children's products are not only breaking the law, they are putting children's lives at risk, said CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. "Resale stores should make safety their business and check for recalled products and hazards to children."
We are not talking about having yard sales or stuff you sell in them.

It clearly addresses recalled childrens products only. That sounds good to me, if it has lead in it, and its recalled, folks/companys shouldn't resell them. And if they do, yes fine them $15,000,000.00 for attempted murder..;)

Omran

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
Does anybody read the whole thing?

"Those who resell recalled children's products are not only breaking the law, they are putting children's lives at risk, said CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. "Resale stores should make safety their business and check for recalled products and hazards to children."
We are not talking about having yard sales or stuff you sell in them.

It clearly addresses recalled childrens products only. That sounds good to me, if it has lead in it, and its recalled, folks/companys shouldn't resell them. And if they do, yes fine them $15,000,000.00 for attempted murder..;)
I agree with you 100% on this