HAVE THE RECENT ECONOMIC CHANGES made you rethink your 10 yr. plan?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I didn't know quite where to put this one but, since its based on the shaky economic future, this is as good a place as any.

I don't know about you all, but in regards to my SS life and my family's individual goals, we talk alot about where we want to be in 10 years....financially, geographically, career-wise and in our family matrix.

My boys and I had been doing quite a bit of planning about careers and colleges, locations of living, etc. that we felt suited what they may want out of life. We thought we had a few ideas kind of worked out and firmly in our plans.

BUT....we are starting to get the feeling that spreading ourselves across the country and trying to accomplish our individual goals alone was probably not the wisest choice in light of unsteady economic futures.

We had a family meeting this weekend and decided that they could attend colleges a little closer to home and maybe even attend the same college to help one another stay the course. Even having the boys share living quarters so that the two incomes make for easier living.

My oldest just got laid off from an oil field job he got 2 mo. ago. Great money, lots of work since they signed the domestic oil bill....then poof! all those jobs gone! We've had to re-evaluate how to support each other more by a change of plans.

I've been hearing about families moving back in together to share expenses. People used to do this out of necessity back in the olden days and, it seems, its beginning to look more attractive.

I'm wondering if you all are finding that being more SS means combining forces and changing one's mind about the meaning of independence? Independence from each other or independence as a whole? Will it come down to multiple families living together again, I wonder?
I don't put my life on hold for "what if" 10 years down the line.

If I have a career or plans for a new future etc. I would pursue them by all means I could tackle.

I would not let this economy change my life plans, unless it was so drastic I had no choice.

If I was young I would still run to my dreams of my ideal future.

Being close to 50 now what I am doing over the next 10 is cut back wasteful spending, re-use, re-purpose etc. what I have and have a blast while living every day.

Banking smarter for Nicole's college and I want to be able to have a house fund for her to build later when she is ready.

So now is be smart over the next 10---but if younger, this economy wouldn't be stopping me at all. There are ways around everything when younger...lol-lol----just the energy level alone I would love to have again! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
sylvie said:
freemotion said:
When I first got my ladybug clogs the chickens would peck at them....how fun is that?

When I am no longer working evenings, one day, I look forward to getting up with the sun. Early morning is such a beautiful time.
I vote for Free as the person with the best case of spring fever on this thread! :gig
I will graciously accept that reward! Picture taken yesterday, I am so tired of ice!

580_picture_015.jpg

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Aww free! That's a beautiful pic!

Yup, I'm ready for spring, too.

Right now, though, I'd settle for bed........ zzzzzzzzzzzz

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Shakespeare wrote about chicks peeping? :hu :p

You know, every 3 minutes its a whole new world for me..... :D

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Shakespeare wrote about chicks peeping? :hu :p

You know, every 3 minutes its a whole new world for me..... :D
He must have. Where else would such creative and eloquent language come from?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
HAVE THE RECENT ECONOMIC CHANGES made you rethink your 10 yr. plan?
No, not really. We have decided in the past year or so, that we would be trying to live more frugally, and we are achieving this. We have modest retirement plans as it is, and we are trying to live within our means while still saving/reducing debt. Slowly but surely we will become more SS-as in --be less dependant on outside sources. But that would happen without the economy bailing.

My hubby's job is extremely secure. Now I realize something could always happen, and if it does, then we just adapt. The way we look at it, we are in a fairly good situation, we are do-it-yourselfers, so if worse comes to worse, I think we will be fine. It is not something that I would choose to worry about.--it's all out of our hands anyways.

I guess one way you could look at it would be to say--the recent economic changes have solidified our 10 year plan.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, we were anticipating that the economy could head south and that is why we chose acreage over our cute little house in the city. At the time we purchased our land we weren't sure how long things would hold out, but soon after moving the big banks started having problems, so we figured we'd just have to chip away at things and postpone building a new house. So, even though we allowed for the economy to change, we have had to adapt and put some of our wants on the back burner. We still hope to build, but rather than having someone come in and make it happen, it looks like we'll be slowly accumulating materials and making it happen ourselves on a longer time scale.

I guess that gives us more time to perfect our plans for the ultimate small and efficient house. :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Freemotion -- what a sweeeeet little goat!!! Or rather, "kid." Also I hear you about living like a "hick" among the diamonds & volvos. Seems to me that they are in denial. I embrace my "peasant"-ly lot, while they aspire to be lords & ladies. Some day they may find out where exactly they stand on that ladder.