HAVE THE RECENT ECONOMIC CHANGES made you rethink your 10 yr. plan?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Bought my wood stove -a Lopi Leyden and will be having it installed next week. I have been dithering about it for two years- one of those when I had the money, I wasn't sure and when I was sure , I didn't have the monye.
But I was worried enough about things that I decided to do it now.
Now all I have to do is buy some wood to burn. Spending money always leads to spending more. :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
ETR -- the best time to look for firewood is after a wind storm. Some people just want to get rid of the blown down trees. Of course, that typically requires a chain saw, a truck, and a good deal of work.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're not putting as much into stocks for retirement plans, I am currently trying to build up more cash......

This is an issue for me and DH as he views stocks as undervalued right now and wants to buy in.........

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Can you compromise? He gets a little for stocks....you get some for the cash fund?

Or how about the Dave Ramsey plan?

$2000K in cash in the house....
6 months worth of income in the bank...
THEN he can buy stocks!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
On Our own said:
We're not putting as much into stocks for retirement plans, I am currently trying to build up more cash......

This is an issue for me and DH as he views stocks as undervalued right now and wants to buy in.........
This made me think of my parents- they were married 61 years and my father would still bring up how rich they would be if my mother had let him buy IBM or was it Xeorx in 1929. Anyway- you'd better be prepared.........:lol:

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I suspect we'll be having that argument :rolleyes:

Actually I keep telling him I hope :lol: we have that argument it would mean that things will recover in a manner similar enough for stocks to survive.......

For now we are building the cash cushion, once it is built back up and we have saved enough cash to get a new car we will return to investing.

I did let him buy some Apple stock when it was really low to make him feel better.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Not really. I've been broke for some time now. If I loose the house, so be it. I'll manage somehow, always have. Just keep trying to be more self sufficient, so I try to aquire things that would allow me to live off the grid. Like an efficient woodburning stove, a pressure canner, solar lights, solar power to pump water from the well.
Also fighting city and county regulations etc that would force us to hook up to their systems: I.e. sewer, water, garbage hauling, inspections, prohibitions against bees and livestock and otherwise trying to take our hard earned money for their upper middle class sameness consumer schemes.
Whoohooo, our poor so called "bad" neighborhood voted down Walmart and won!!! Our colorfull little entrepeneureal shops are safe for now.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Also fighting city and county regulations etc that would force us to hook up to their systems: I.e. sewer, water, garbage hauling, inspections, prohibitions against bees and livestock and otherwise trying to take our hard earned money for their upper middle class sameness consumer schemes.
Whoohooo, our poor so called "bad" neighborhood voted down Walmart and won!!! Our colorfull little entrepeneureal shops are safe for now.
Great points that are overlooked in the scheme of SS!!!!

Our previous neighborhood had 3 new houses built and sold to city people. These folks moved in and were appalled that there were no streetlights on our sleepy road, petitioned for lights for safety and because of non interest and low resistance turnout got the lights. We got a $50 increase in property taxes. Doesn't sound like much but there were a number of older retirees on fixed income living month to month and it was hardship for them.
Also the lights began attracting the riffraff who began congregating under the lights in gangs, so it had the opposite safety effect.

We had a woman who was running for trustee and wanted to ban backyard gardens! Can you imagine?

Look at who stands to benefit most from new regulations, too. I'm sure it is an outfit that doesn't live in the community.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I found a wonderful solution to neighborhood riffraff that only costs a few dollars. Get yourself an opera recording and put your speakers in your open window. They leave within minutes. If you are consistant, they won't come back.

It also works great if someone down the street is blaring disgusting music. Just crank up the opera and turn it down every couple minutes to check until they shut their's off, then shut yours off. They get the point real fast w/o confrontation or getting the police involved and creating dangerous bad blood.

And it is very amusing..... :gig