Having technical difficulties....anyone else? Super slow...

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am getting hit with a mal-ware add and it is ONLY on this site. I had to use IE to post this message.......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
old days there were no technical difficulties lol

well, maybe if ya lost a tine off the old pitchfork or rake hahaha

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If you do a Google search of this web sites name, it come up listed FIRST but also has a note that Google is intercepting the site!!
I should mention that I use SCROOGLE for all my searches.

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
Suggestions:

* Return to the previous page and pick another result.
* Try another search to find what you're looking for.

Or you can continue to http://www.sufficientself.com/ at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.

For more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
Advisory provided by Google

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, I got the message too on Firefox. IE is fine.

Haywood

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep, I'm having the same problem - firefox displays a warning and when I ignore the warning, SS looks like plain html for me. I'll try IE but I think something else is going on and that really isn't a fix.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Posted by Nifty on BYC...

"Many of you noticed the problems we ran into today.

Short Version: The problem has been found and removed and now we're just waiting for the browsers / search engines to verify the fixes and remove us from their blacklists.

Longer Version:
Today I was gone all day helping my brother with some construction and cleanup. Well, of course things blow up once I'm away from the computer and won't be back on for hours.

Members started having some weird things happen and then started getting warning about BYC contanining "Malware". Thankfully a few members of the BYC Staff were able to contact me and we were able to work as a team to start the process of getting things fixed (especially thanks to Stacey for calling and Terrie for putting the forums in maintanance mode).

Basically our ad serving software was hacked, causing malware filters all over the InterWebs to go off. After we determined the attack was real we put the forums in maintanance mode until we could figure out what happened.

After a bunch of hours trouble shooting, restoring pre-hacked software backups, and removing all the ad codes from the sites we can now semi-confidently say our site is free from malware and once again open to our community of chicken enthusiasts.

Unfortuantley BYC (and the sister sites) are blacklisted by Google and so users on Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers may not be able to access BYC without getting a crazy page warning of DANGER! I've sent an appeal to the Google gods and have requested that they review the sites and remove their curse.

We're still unsure of what, if anything this malware attempt may have caused. We definitely encourage all our members to keep their antivirus software updated and run a scan of their system to ensure there aren't any problems. If we find more details we'll let you know.

I'm personally very sorry that this happened and apologize to all those who couldn't get their BYC fixes! It is wonderful being involved in such a large and vibrant community! Unfortunetly this also has the side effect of painting a target on our backs to people that are jealous that they can't have chickens. wink

If you have any questions, please let us know and we'll do the best we can to answer them."

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I ran a scan of my system as soon as I saw the add pop up. Glad to hear you have everything under control Nifty! Thanks!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
whoot! got the same problem.. Java got me hooked up with using IE.. but now everything is really BIG

dang.. gotta work on this now...

yay that they got it worked out!
:)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Everything it peachy keen this morning so THANK YOU Admin and mods for all your hard work last night!

:thumbsup:woot:celebrate