He was hunting in the swamp.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've heard of people losing chickens to them. We have lots in the woods behind us but I've never had a problem. I love them!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is a beautiful Barred Owl! We have many that stay real close to our home. Matter of fact we have had them in our backyard roosting in a tree! I belive an owl would pack off a chicken, but the problem is timing. Owls are nocturnal, chickens not so much. We have had small cats/kittens packed off by them many times. I told my SIL that and she was scared to death that they would pack off her little dog,...she was a hoot! :lol:

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I sent it to the local newspaper. They are going to try to get it in this weeks edition. Our paper comes out on Thursdays.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yes, they absolutely can get your chickens.

My neighbor down the road heard a ruckus in the chicken coop one night (about 4 days before we lost 10 of our birds) and went down with a flashlight to find an owl IN HER COOP....got in somehow and had killed several of her girls.

Bout 4 days later we lost 10 of our birds cause I forgot to close the pop door on the coop....don't know if ours was an owl or a combination of critters even but I was devistated.

Keep an eye on that owl!

Oh, and those pics are fabulous!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
2dream lost some of hers to one as well.

Great picture!! I can hear him talking to you in the last one. "Move it, I'm hunting here!"
I thought he was saying, be verwy, verwy quiet. I'm huntin wabbits.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ahhh the song of a Barred owl . . .
"Who cooks for you?"
"Who cooks for you'all?"

We have lots of 'em here. Beautiful birds indeed. But they are voracious hunters. Just as dangerous to small critters as any hawk or eagle.