Head Covering

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
New to SSincy here and wondering what do you ladies cover your heads with when out in the fields working? I'm seeing a bunch of straw hats here in Central FL but wondering if there are other ideas, styles, etc.?

Thanks.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any hat I can grab on my way out the door! I have a big straw hat but it doesn't cover my neck so I sewed a piece of fabric at the back and crocheted a "strap" to tie it under my chin (we have fierce winds). Sometimes I use a baseball cap (on top of a handkerchief for same reason: sun).

I'm one of those people that really dont' care what I look like on my property. Pink hat with purple shorts and yellow top. Or whatever I just happen to throw on. Where what's comfortable to you and that will help keep the sunburn and windburn at bay.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im generally an "anything with a wide brim" kinda gall...i burn something feice and the back of my neck is prime burning realestate...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm not a hat person and my hair is so thick that it's hot enough without placing a hat on it....I just pin up the whole mess and hit the garden. I tan easy and I don't care about wrinkles and such....when I get too hot I take a break, go back out when the sun isn't so high in the sky.

My mother loves the hat I got for her at The Working Man's store that is a lightweight straw hat with a built-in green plastic visor(?) section....only cost $5. She says it's cool and the best garden hat she's had. Before that she would just use visors to shield her face and eyes.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a bucket-hat type of girl (think Gilligan's Island) and if it's really sunny out I will add a bandana to the back to cover my neck. I wear my hat so the brim shades my eyes nicely and don't find my face ever burns. I've always got long-sleeves on when I work in the garden because I burn easily and I don't believe in sunscreen (I have all kinds of chemical sensitivities so prefer to just cover up). I find that with small amounts of exposure to the sun starting in the spring I can build up a "base" tan that keeps my arms and legs from burning for regular walks/bike rides etc. but that hours spent gardening under the hot prairie sun is just too much sun exposure for my fair skin.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't generally wear a hat unless I'm planning on being out for more than an hour without coming in. Just didn't grow up wearing them outside when working in the field or garden much. When I did have a hat it was a baseball cap or a floppy fishing hat usually. Most of my family is farmers and baseball caps are cheap and durable. It's not a worry to wash them if you drop it in a ditch. They don't cover the back of the neck though. So if you burn easy, that's not good. I usually leave my hair loose, so I don't worry about that.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Lots of times, I'll wear a baseball style cap. Mainly though, it's to keep the sun out of my eyes.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
A wet bandanna! Ahhhh, keeps you cool and the brim never gets in your way. I learned this one sailing...it gets HOT in a boat out on the water. Now I use it for my grandaughter too, you can just rewet it with the garden hose anytime and you never feel overheated.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
MC!!! Where ya been , chick??? Miss you around here! :hugs :love
Busy starting my own business...making patterns for quilts...that way I only have to make the quilt once and the revenue just keep coming in over and over! LOL! miss you guys too!