Head Covering

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A cloth sun visor I got at a thrift store umpteen years ago. It is washable, and has the terry cloth forehead lining thingy.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, you guys have shared some cool stuff. For instance, I never thought about the sun and my neck. Who knew??? I think sometimes us Black folk take the sun for granted and take it in stride. Being new to this farming situation I'm open to all kind of suggestions though to work smarter and not harder. And, I DO care about leather-look skin - don't want it. Very popular in these parts though (FL). I'll start with the wet scarf suggestion. That outta look real good with my new look of wearing long, historical type skirts to work in. :cool:

Thanks, all.

Lyric :lol:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
even for folks who dont burn. (and folks with very dark skin) sun on the back of the neck is a great way to get yourself a good dose of sun stroke so i always suggest anyone spending more than 30 mins or so to protect that spot (its a spot people just dont think about) backs of the ears is another sun sentive spot too.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I have a couple sun hats like this: http://www.saratogasaddlery.com/products/Kanga_Cooler_hat_Bone-492-53.html

The screen venting in the top part helps keep air moving, and I love the fact that the brim shades so much of my face and neck. We have a white sand arena, and in the blazing sun, with the brightness overhead, the sand reflects that light and heat and it can be miserable, so the hat really helps to keep the glare somewhat down. Good hat AND sunglasses required!

I would like to get a good straw hat, I just haven't found one yet...

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
even for folks who dont burn. (and folks with very dark skin) sun on the back of the neck is a great way to get yourself a good dose of sun stroke . . .
Good lookin' out with this info PinkFox. I'm keeping this stuff in mind. Actually I'm reminded of getting sun poisoning while visiting Jamaica. I was following suit to some light-skinned girls in our group out sunbathing in the noon, direct sun. Black as I am I was the one with sun poisoning not any of them :rolleyes:.

Cover the neck it is.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmm, Lee's neck is sunned/tanned. He hasn't burned yet. Guess Cherokee-Irish-White men don't burn easily:lol::lol:.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Got mine several years ago before they were bought by Saratoga, they used to be Outback Survival Gear. Quality goods are worth the price, and these hats really hold up.
I have the full leather version for winter yucky weather, too.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lucky him, lol, i can tell ya for fre its not the irish blood protecting him form burning LOL.

unforuntatly i have a few black frineds who found out the hard way too...theyd laugh at me cause id tell em, limit your sun exposure and protect your neck...
but were black we dont get sunburn" just cause ya dont burn doesnt mean the sun cant make ya sick...all 3 of them got sun poisening one day on a theme park trip.
and ive had sun stroke, its no fun at all...ick.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cover my head with a ball cap or a straw-hat. Ball cap if it's windy.