Heard of using bentonite in seedling-start mixes?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was at one of my favorite ag supply retailers, and was asking about volcanic-rock powders. There's a brand available in the US called Azomite, and there was a start-up company called Paramount Growth (in Canada) that supplied me with about 17 lbs of samples of their own product for free a couple years ago. I wrote up some of my very pleasing results using this at 10-15% in seed-starting mixes here.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12028&p=1 .

In any case, Azomite is not as yet distributed in Canada, and the Canadian company has apparently had capital-investment problems in the dismal economy of the last few years - so I can't get this type of soil amendment. But at the ag supply, I was describing my experience and saying I wanted to get more volcanic rock powder. A young guy there said he's had seed-starting results that he thinks are similar to what I described - but using bentonite (a type of clay) as part of the starting mix. Not enough info to make me want to buy a bag just yet.

While I do keep an open mind to new ideas, I probably have eight times as many years of experience with raising crops organically as this young fella has. But mainly, I was slightly skeptical because I couldn't see his results - which would be in his home greenhouse & garden.

But I'm open-minded... Has anyone here either heard of or, better yet, tried using bentonite as part of a seedling start mix? If so, what can you tell me?

I've tried a Google search and came up without much.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My guess is they're using it to retain water, and trying to avoid peat...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They use bentonite to line large ponds around here. I don't think they claim it is water proof But is sure slowes water seepage into normal soil. I wouldn't use it for starting plants but that is just my opinion.~gd

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My only understanding of the virtues of bentonite has been that some people use it to line pond bottoms, to retain water in soils that are light and porous. A neighbor used it for this purpose - although the outcome wasn't perfect... water still leaked out, thougt (as ~gd indicates) more slowly. I have no idea why this young lad thought bentonite was working for him, to encourage strong seedling development.