Hearst, N. Ontario Canada

Ema

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Name is Ema, I am a member of backyard chickens since last june though a lurker for a long time before that. So after lurking for this long around these parks I decided to register as well.

Happy to join the community, and eager to learn some more.

Ema

Ema

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Hi, Ema, I used to live up in Iroquois Falls, not as far north as you, but loved it!!!!
:frow
yes I remember you telling me about this on BYC, I really like it here. though I am still on the fence about this cold weather Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, lol....

than you everyone for being so kind. Just trying to learn some more to get this farm up and going. I got about 50 acres and would like to put it to good use, so it will work for me and my family. I have an established chicken flock of 21. Now this spring I plan on adding more animals and a few large plots of vegetables and fruits and an herb garden too. I was hoping to venture into adding a couple hives too but we need to make sure we don't bite off more than we can chew all at once if you know what I mean.

the barn needs some work which I am happy to say will be done this spring and then we can begin working on the fencing about the same time.

I would like to start by taking the barn off the grid and moving on towards the house eventually. Nothing bothers me more than having to pay such large hydro bills in this northern climate. Dh is just as passionate about all of this as I am so this works out well for us. We are starting slow but eventually we will get there.

thanks for reading.

Ema

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:welcome
I missed where you're from but it sounds waaaay north of here!
Oh, duh, subject line....

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi there Ema! I'm from Timmins...ws raised there...been to Hearst a few times and have friends that spent a few years up there. Nice to meet you!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
50 acres and a barn....that sounds lovely. Since everyone is talking about how far north you are, do you get to see the aurora borealis?