Hearst, N. Ontario Canada

Ema

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Hi there Ema! I'm from Timmins...ws raised there...been to Hearst a few times and have friends that spent a few years up there. Nice to meet you!
Wow someone from timmins, now that is cool. the closest I have seen anyone in these forums was sudbury lol...I hope we get to chatting eventually. Happy to have someone living int he same region as me, Yay!!!

Ema

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
50 acres and a barn....that sounds lovely. Since everyone is talking about how far north you are, do you get to see the aurora borealis?
you know I used to live in Alberta and I could see it rather well and it was magnificent, the sky seemed so large so the lights looked that much closer.

Now living in Northern ontario, I still see them at times, I think in fact that Morelcabin too can likely see them if he/she is not directly in the city. I am not in the city I live surrounded by heavily wooded lots of crown land, the town is 15 minutes away and the highway is 2 km away. It gets real dark around here. and when the lights are seen they are great, not as big as in alberta where it felt like I could touch them. but yes I can see the Aurora borealis at times. When its real hot here in the summer we cannot see them, but when the days are hot and nights become crisp we see them more often. at those times we like to sit outside, make a fire and then just look up.

But then again I really do not need a reason to actually build a fire and sit out there roasting marshmallows or hot dogs on a stick...heck I've done it in the winter...lol....though the kids don't enjoy it as much as my dh or I do, :lol: because it gets real cold in winter here.

well I got lost reading threads on here and I managed to put the roast in the oven an hour late, so now that it is ready its time to go eat so my munchkins can go to bed!! Back to school tomorrow after a nice family day long weekend.

Ema

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm not in Timmins anymore...moved a little further south an 97, near North Bay. But yes I used to see the Northern lights often in Timmins. Over the lake here it is magnificant! They just dance when there are no city lights ... anywhere in Northern Ontario. We used to go to Kettle Lakes Park and lay outside our tent and watch them

We do winter fires here every once in a while. usually to burn all the boxes and paper stuff we end up collecting in the garage. We don't roast marshmallows in the winter though.
In Hearst and Timmins it is very bitter but dry cold. Here in the bay area it is still cold but mostly damp, and it goes into your bones instead of biting your skin. The cold in Timmins takes your breath away though at times, and you have to wear a scarf to be able to breath

WdKelln

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm ranching and loving living here on the Canadian Prairies just out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and we get a lovely display of the northern lights!