Heart Surgeon Speaks out on What Really Causes Heart Disease

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:th

Thanks for this Snapshot, now I'm going to have to admit to DH that he may have been right all along! :lol:

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad had his first heart attack in 1994, he was given 6 months to live because he refused open heart surgery... he went to another doctor for a second opinion and that doctor basically told him the same things in that article. To avoid processed foods, eat REAL food but also to eat a low fat diet... she told him when he ate fat to make sure it was good fat, like olive oil or butter, not margarine.

Long story short he ate the low fat diet without eating overly processed food, lost 60 pounds, quit drinking alcohol, quit smoking, and went 16 years without having the heart surgery (although he did end up having to have a quadruple by-pass two years ago after starting to drink and getting more lax on the diet.) He's doing great today and back to eating as healthy as he can again :) He wants me to buy a hobby farm so we could supply them with good food.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I agree with the article, though I have less of a resistance to fat than most people. Natural fats, like those found in dairy, olive oil, and meats are fine. Processed vegetable oils and canola oil (a by-product that has been marketed as "healthy" for human consumption) are usually rancid by the time they get to your home.
I eat a lot of meat, raw butter, and raw dairy. I consume a lot of fat, and yet I am not fat, and in fact, actually lost weight while drinking coffee with butter in it every morning for a couple weeks.

Conventional wisdom is very wrong and it is killing our nation slowly, painfully, and expensively.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In the world of biomedical research, it is widely accepted that a low-fat diet doesn't work.

Beware of the pharma-physician complex.

tdbarani

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting article. Has anyone seen the documentary "Forks Over Knives?" I haven't seen it myself but really want to. It follows several people who are on lots of medication for different diseases and shows how beneficial it is when they adopt plant-based diets.

Tammy

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I basically agree with what that doctor said but my neighbor just had a heart valve replaced and a double bypass a few years ago and he eats according to the "China Study" and he juices a lot and grows his own food for the most part.

but I guess I should also say he was 78 before he had problems.

From my reading a lot more vitamin c can prevent some of these problems, along with niacin.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
watched "Forks over Knives" this morning, made a lot of sense, it goes along with "fat sick and nearly dead". very informative but nothing too new in the way of thinking, everyone knows the way we (western society) eats is crap but "hey i have health care for that" or i'll just die happy". interesting stuff all the way around. but definitely doesn't help that eating healthy isn't cheap or easy everywhere. One of the things i always deal with is how to eat healthy or close to healthy underway on the ship. Very little fresh, lots of fried, canned , processed fast easy cheap. they have been updating our meals over the last few years and they are even changing our meal / nutrition on board, and it will help a little but you have to get food where you can when you port not all ships go places in a fleet or squadron. a lot of vessels are doing more independent steaming / with fixed budgets, its not a bottomless pit of money like ppl think and Brass who want to advance will not bust budget for anything less that preventing a mission movement. I've got a few more sea tours left before retirement so my wife and i are trying to see if we can do it. the bad thing is there isn't a lot to be had. ........

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find it interesting that he talks abut the omega 6-omega 3 balance and inflammation. I read an article about asthma that said the same thing.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I posted about inflammation a bit ago in a thread I started. this has caught my eye also. inflammation is the root of many evils in the body.

I agree that the diet of food (if you can call it food anymore) that is offered in stores is frightening.

Only thing you can do is be aware of what you are eating and how you are living. best anyone can do.

I read the omega 6 is a bad boy in the body also.