Heat your room for 8 pence a day!

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found this on the internet.

"Feeling chilly and don't want to turn up the heat? Here's a cheap and easy alternative to heating a small room - tealights and flowerpots.

By positioning two flowerpots over four tealight candles in a bread baking dish, you can heat a small room or office. The gap between the two pots enables a flow of air that then passes warm air around the room."

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/heat-your-room-8-pence-day

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That looks interesting. I might have to try this.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting idea. Thanks for posting the link.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had not heard about putting 1 pot inside another before, but I used the clay pot over a candle idea in my little RV when I had one. It did pretty well as long as the temps didn't go much below freezing.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the link and the interesting idea, Neiklot.

Please tell us what size space you're heating (floor dimensions, ceiling height) and what outdoor temperatures your location experiences. The kind of exterior walls and so forth (and also how they're insulated) would come in as factors, of course, too.

We start heating our place when the outside evening and night temperature is getting down to around freezing. During the winter, it can get down to 15 or 20 degrees below freezing here.

Our place is about 950 sq ft (88 sq metres) on the first floor, and about 750 (70 sq metres) on the second floor, with 8 ft (2.4 metres) celings. But this method shown in the video might help in some part of our house most distant from our heat source.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm thinking of in my tack shed.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've seen something similar on the prepper forums but a tad different. three small clay jars and nuts and big carriage bolt to hold together over the candle flame. it was smaller than what you have pictured and was for use in smaller areas like your car or tent or what every small cubby you have found to hide in.. I wonder if I can find the instructions again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Deb be real careful with any flames in a barn situation. I don't think I would have the cahoonies to light any fire in my barn areas.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
My tack shed is my home away from home. It's 8x12, and has a cot, a small table, a Rubbermaid drawer unit in it and a night stand. I'd be placing it on the night stand. Now that I've lost Cindy, I don't have to worry about her knocking it over.