HeatherLynnKy on the farm Ranting and hormone crazy tonight warning

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:fl Here's hoping she continues to improve.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blossom was having such a great day, so much improvement. Thanksgiving was wonderful and I was much more relaxed than usual. I really enjoyed myself. Night time hit and Blossom went down hill. She is now just as congested as before, eyes all gunky and refused her bottle. I am beside myself right now. All I have on hand is la200 and its saying that is not good for pneumonia. I have done everything i can think of, everything the vet said to do. If she makes it through the night then we go back to the vet in the early AM.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked for a vet and he said "never let anything die without using every weapon you've got!"

If she's going downhill and you've got no other meds, I'd try the La200. Here's what the Pfizer website says:

Uses:
Parental antibiotic treatment of a wide range of diseases caused by susceptible Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.

LIQUAMYCIN LA-200 is approved for the treatment of pneumonia and shipping fever complex associated with Pasteurella spp. and Hemophilus spp.; infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis (pinkeye) caused by Moraxella bovis; footrot and diphtheria caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum; bacterial enteritis (scours) caused by Escherichia coli; wooden tongue caused by Actinobacillus lignieresii; leptospirosis caused by Leptospira pomona; and wound infections and acute metritis caused by strains of staphylococci and streptococci organisms sensitive to oxytetracycline.

Key Features
Broad-spectrum oxytetracycline is effective against various bacterial diseases, including pinkeye, pneumonia, shipping fever, foot rot, diphtheria, bacterial scours, metritis, wound infections, leptospirosis (L. Pomona) and wooden tongue.
Contains Pfizer-quality oxytetracycline for proven dose-to-dose safety and consistency.
Ready to use. No mixing, refrigeration or special handing needed.
One dose delivers three days of sustained therapy. Fewer injections mean less labor and animal stress.
LA-200 has a long history of trusted, reliable performance as the pioneer antibiotic.
Beef Friendly subcutaneous (SC) option is available to minimize risk of carcass blemish.
Approved for use in lactating dairy cows.
Administered by SC or IV injection to beef and dairy cattle and calves, including pre-ruminating veal calves.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The illness must end. I am not sure how much more of these colds for calf and kids I can take. My oldest DD was sick a month and finally got over this brochitis thing that she just could not shake. Granted its no help when her entire ballet class that she was seeing for 8 hours a week are in a confined room hacking their little lungs out. Way to spread the germs. She is finally better and now the baby and my mom picks up a bug. Not the same bug though. One is puking and won't eat and the other is coughing like mad. Our dear Blossom is still struggling with pneumonia. I gave her LA200 this morning for lack of any other meds and the vet gave us 2 doses of nuflor? sounds like that anyway. Supposedly it will help. We shall see. She is still eating and still getting up but she wants to lay around in the hay alot. Not sure what I should be expecting for a 2 week old but I think more movement that this. The scours seems much improved. Heavy antibiotics every other morning and then Heavy probiotics every night. I admit it right now I am feeling the strain. I don't want to every fail anymore be it family or animals.

No shopping for me today but we got TONS of farm chores done. So we just keep moving toward our goals and drag the sick ones behind us as we go.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:hugs Wow - you're really catching it right now. Wish there were some way to help you... Saying 'hang in there' feels so inadequate, but its gotta get better, right?

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I seriously think God is trying to turn me into hardened steel at times. Who knows, maybe that really is the end goal. As a general rule I am a very anxious person, I have fought anxiety attacks for 12 years now. Amazingly though I feel that when things get hardest I can find some time of calm or peace in the middle of it. I am slowly learning to separate myself from my fears and go about my daily business. I think that falls under "mysterious ways".
Anywho mom seems a bit better today. She is better enough to be back to bossing us all around. Sure sign she is on the med. My parents are in the 70's and have health issues, so I worry over every little illness it seems. Sometimes its very hard to slowly become your parents provider and protector but thats the transition that I am going through. I enjoyed being the child much better than this. Their every little worry keeps me up at night. The baby is back to eating. I call her the baby but she is turning 3 in 2 weeks. Not sure how I feel about my baby girl growing up so fast. I still yearn so badly for another but my health will not support it. I have a really really minor heart murmur, but when I am pregnant it plays holy heck with me. Maybe someday finances will be lose enough where I can adopt another. I cannot explain how with the 4 kids driving me up the wall that I cry for another, but I do. Stupid I know but I can't seem to make the desire go away. My husband was hoping the baby goats would do it. He tries but he doesn't understand. Ah well, such is life right? If I am meant for another then something will come up. Just not sure when or how.

Blossom is doing the same. She is holding steady. The congestion is a bit better. The scours is a bit better. She is eating well. She still just wants to lay around all the time and has to be helped up at bottle time. She doesn't even try to get up. She is piggy enough once she is up and has the bottle but she just lays their waiting to be helped up and afterwards she finds a nice place in the hay and wait to be covered back up by my son. We have to force her to walk around a bit and go out in the sun. We have not yet had her a week though and she has had little time to build up and is still healing so we shall see how things progress. I am hopeful.

My son has decided to start watching what people throw out in hopes of finding stuff to fix up or scrap in order to save up for another calf. My sister has an oven that she is tossing so thats going to the scrap yard and she threw out her old 12 speed bike. He is going to fix it up a bit and sell it. A lot of people on bikes around here as of late. But he came up with this plan of earning money for another calf on his own so I can only encourage him. Its good I think that he is showing initiative.

Ah well, tons more to do today. My husband processed chickens today and is doing some weatherizing to the coop today. I have the rest of my laundry, the bills, and cleaning to do and then its off to church to help prepare for a parade and a community chili supper and bridge lighting tonight.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are going OK for now.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i dont know if this will help you or your son but, my daughter saved up on her own for her first goat. she saved cans- we have .05 cent refund here. but she also had a lot of smashed cans that she sold for alumanum. she would ride her bike along the road here (we are out pretty far) and bring them home. she also asked the neighbors if they saved their cans and if they had odd jobs she had a lot of odd jobs and some gave her their cans.

she still works hard for anything she wants!

i hope your family (4 and 2 legs) gets better soon!:hugs

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is so funny you said. Before bed he asked if he was careful could he walk along our road and pick up cans. My 2 oldest already have dreams of what they want to be and so far they seem to be sticking with them. Very determined kids. My son, even though we had high hopes for maybe MIT or something, has decided on farming. He is willing to train for another job to support himself but he wants to be a farmer and he is pretty determined to have a started herd by the time he is 18. He is also largely planning on doing this on his own. His grandparents bought him his first calf. He sold him and made enough to buy this calf and part of another. So now he is saving up for that other calf. I am fighting like mad for the calf he already has too. She got up on her own tonight and rank her whole bottle. Breathing is better but she does not poo much. Granted she is only on half milk rations right now. The rest is all electrolytes. Now I do see her pee several times a day, so I know something is moving through her. If all is well tomorrow we may do full milk bottle with probiotics. She has one more shot to do and then I guess we re evaluate where she is health wise. The vet suggested testing her stool again at a week to see if we got rid of what we needed to.

My daughter thankfully has dreams much less cow related and the next couple weeks again are busy with Christmas performances. Thankfully after Christmas she goes down to just ballet, no more musical theater. We have to prepare for pre point and point classes and looking at the schedules there is no way she could do musical theater also. As is in 2 year she will probably be at the studio 4 days a week. She has talked about dancing in New York or Boston someday and then coming back home and starting a studio out where we live. We even have spots of dense population but to do anything we all have to drive at least 30 minutes. Our dance studio now is 45 minutes away. Insane. Aww well someday I will look back on memories of going from the calf barn, to the theater and then back again. At least I will have lots of memories.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is always good to hear about kids that know they have to work for something! my oldest daughters boss has told me personaly that she is one of the best workers she has.