Heating A chicken coop.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My grandfather gave me an idea on how to heat a house and i would like to adapt it for my chicken coop. Would this work?

So the system uses hot water circulation through copper pipes the water is circulated through the pipes with a water pump powered by a solar panel the copper pipes run through an outside pit of mulch were the mulch (mulch generates heat in piles) heats the water in the pipes it is then circulated back through the coop heating the coop. I dont know if i explained this clear or not so bare with me.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You could do it, I'm sure, if you had a hot enough big enough compost pile... but there are other, easier, probably as (or more) effective alternatives, too.

Some people just build their coop over, or against, or partly over, a big compost pile. And let the heat transfer directly, no copper tubing and pumps.

Or, the 'pop can solar heater' is pretty good for a small bldg like a coop (search here or on BYC for description how to build).

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, copper pipes is certainly one of them :)

Have fun, welcome to SS,

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I toured a facility that had a compost/manure bin with pipes that ran to the seed bed and heated the soil. They just used heated air because the compost was in such close proximity to the seed soil. Plastic pipe with holes drilled and a small fan that ran occasionally as I recall. This was in the green house.
The facility:
http://www.balancedlivingmag.com/20...shey Montessori School Adolescent Program.htm

You could contact them for more information. They have a guided tour for Ohio's solar day in October but I have called with followup questions and they were very happy to clarify for me.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You would just want to make sure that the humidity didn't get too high, imo, because that could cause some health issues during winter in your climate, like frostbitten combs.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
My grandfather gave me an idea on how to heat a house and i would like to adapt it for my chicken coop. Would this work?

So the system uses hot water circulation through copper pipes the water is circulated through the pipes with a water pump powered by a solar panel the copper pipes run through an outside pit of mulch were the mulch (mulch generates heat in piles) heats the water in the pipes it is then circulated back through the coop heating the coop. I dont know if i explained this clear or not so bare with me.
I know Vermont (I used to ski there! fun times! and great state!)

If your chickens are suffering in the cold weather then do this.

If your chickens are fine, honestly, and have no ill effects from winter then do not heat the coop. It is not necessary and they are better just weathering thru the storm as is with adequate shelter and food....and buying cold standing breeds.

If you have frostbite etc.....then this sounds like a good idea. Remember our version of cold is not that of an animals.

If you need to heat due to terrible extreme weather, hit up your grandad for good plans cause it sounds like a good idea!!!!

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had two heat bulbs running for most of this winter but it wasnt energy efficient at all and a few of the birds still suffered frostbite.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While I don't know how many birds you have.....if you can contain them into a smaller area....with the heat lamps then it will concentrate more heat in a smaller space easily.

Does that make sense! LOL-LOL

Being in NC now, I surely do not have to fight any cold winter weather with my animals and that is so much easier for me big time! :)

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello there
You could probably take advantage of the "hot air rises" effect and not even need a pump.
lin

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I thought about concentrating them into a smaller area but the heat bulbs are costing us about $24 a month each.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow that is steep on the bill definitely.

Yes, you must find a good way to warm up the air and not drain the wallet...and of course CFLs don't admit heat...lol...so no help there to you!

Hmm....

I would go solar. A simple 1 panel should do the trick.

Research the internet for plans. Just google "heated chicken coops" or "backyard heated chicken coops" and see what ingenius finds people have posted. I am sure there is a cheaper way to handle this cold for you!

So happy I am in the south when I hear about the winter troubles with animals...