Heating with wood burners/fire places only?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats terrible.
At least do the tea candle thingy if its really cold and the rooms are small enough.
To tell the truth, I was having one of my flight of ideas this morning and was just thinking to myself, that if I concentrate most of the candles in the center of the platter and just put the 7 inch pot, and don't use the 9 inch, I wander if I can get a small pot hot enough to cook or warm something up.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The only live trees I've ever taken down are 1 that I cut by mistake (a small cherry I thought was a dead one), and the cherry in the pit at the farm. That I took down since the leaves can be poisonous to horses. But, w/all the dead trees in the woods next to us, and since I have the owner's permission to cut them down, I don't need to look for live trees. I hate to buy wood since I don't know where it's coming from, and since I don't always get the kind of wood I want.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
There used to be a stove in here and there is a chimney and everything, but they went and stuffed an electric "fire" into that space. I prefer the real thing…

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pull it out!!! If the chimney is in good condition, most of your problem is already solved. Look.....when we set up our current burning location, it was with our 2nd boxwood stove and the absolute cheapest thing we bought was the stove. It costed us a lot to get the house set up to code.....we wanted it to be up to code, even if we are under the radar, just in case we wanted insurance or approval for whatever might come, not to mention safety. We paid over $1,000 between the stove pipes, wall connections, tiles, concrete board for walls and floor and sheet metal to line the floor with. The stove was only about $100 (now the potbelly we have in place now, was much more).

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I would pull it out in a heartbeat if this was my house! Unfortunately it's a rented property and our hints are falling on deaf ears. A "proper" fireplace will save you so much money in the long run, it's well worth the expense IMO. The central heating doesn't warm the downstairs area (lounge/kitchen especially) up properly. A nice fire in there would help a lot.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my......this is terrible.
Under the circumstances, I'd have to bid my time, and plan an escape and just make the best of it. Maybe just stow your stuff in some rooms and live in the kitchen and living rooms and keep a candle heater in the bathroom and just use a bedwarmer at night. I wouldn't want to pay more than I have to to keep a house comfy, if I couldn't get it done affordably.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is what I'm doing at the moment. I told the landlady we're not planning to stay very long and next time I'm making double sure there is a fireplace or some kind of solid fuel heating in place as back-up.

I'm loath to go out and buy more oil to replace what we lost, but it's awful being so cold and having no running hot water! :( The heater helps in the bedrooms upstairs, but it's using a lot of electricity and I'm trying to keep it down. I may need to close my eyes and open my wallet next week as I'm not keen on being in pain, post surgery AND frozen! lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Awww, Sumi! :hugs I'm praying you resolve this issue swiftly, your place is warmed and your pain is eased. :hugs

Wish I could park you by the big ol' barrel stove and put your feet up, feed you some homemade chicken soup.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my!!!! No way, no way, no way.....
If this doesn't kill you, you will emerge from it, with so much determination and fresh ideas. Have a huge garage sale to offload and just get an RV if this is what you up against.