Heating with wood burners/fire places only?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DD has 3 trees on ground & cut to length -- from my stand of trees and they are only about 3 weeks down. She has a splitter, so they will get done in a couple weeks. One more tree poss to get cut -- or not. Depends on other sources coming in.

Since she works 3 & off 4, she will be using a LOT more wood this yr to heat with being home to tend the unit. Always a job.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try and heat with wood. Our Amish friends heat their entire house with one huge wood stove and when I say stove I mean a stove or oven.

The inside of their house is a open floor plan like you would expect to see in a warehouse. There are rooms yes but no doors. Of course the "bathroom" is outside also and is heated with one small wood heater.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting house, CC! Got the shed half full here and with tons of wood yet to split.

We cut a hole in the back of the shed a few weeks back so we could build a door/ramp there....when up it will be a door, when down a ramp. We are building onto the back and side of the shed this year so as to have more wood storage capabilities.

Soon as the door is built I'll close it and start stacking wood in that area until the shed is full to the front door. Then I'll be splitting and leaving it in piles until the pole shed extension is completed.

Had a big cherry come down the other day, nice and dead....will be placed on the porch, along with some dry pine, this fall. We always like to keep a good supply right on the porch in case the snow is too deep for moving wood from the shed, but mostly we cart wood in each day from the shed all winter long.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We always like to keep a good supply right on the porch in case the snow is too deep for moving wood from the shed, but mostly we cart wood in each day from the shed all winter long.

Like my Dad always said "Firewood warms you up many times!"
Cut, split, stack, move, burn, clean out the ashes ...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Like my Dad always said "Firewood warms you up many times!"
Cut, split, stack, move, burn, clean out the ashes ...

Always. It's good exercise and it feels good to know the labor goes towards keeping the family warm all winter. It's also a nice way to clean up the woodlots of trees blown down in a storm and standing deadwood.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I miss the activity of cutting firewood - but not enough to actually go out and do it in 90 degree weather. Maybe this fall we will cut up a couple dead oaks for wood for the fire pit.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I miss the activity of cutting firewood - but not enough to actually go out and do it in 90 degree weather. Maybe this fall we will cut up a couple dead oaks for wood for the fire pit.

My dad used to wait until late July and August to start getting in firewood, when the lawn had slowed down on growing and we had time to get in wood~also after turkey season and before deer season :rolleyes:. I always thought that was insane....more briers, more ticks, more biting insects and reptiles to be had, hotter and more humid weather. :barnie

So, around here we try to get in firewood in the spring and fall, after the garden is in and after it's harvested. I've got most of the wood shed filled right now, partly from wood cut and split this spring and wood split in late fall/early winter of last year that was tarped and left in place.

But, I'll be splitting more wood in the summer heat, mostly in the mornings and evenings, to get the shed filled entirely...won't take more than a couple of sessions of splitting to do that, as I still have wood tarped and ready to be stored in the shed from last fall's work. At least I'm not having to go out in the woods and fight all the elements to get it....it's all here in the yard now in varying degrees of being processed. For that I'm so very thankful!!!

I'll be working in the fall on the same endeavor, as we are wanting to stock the new extension on the wood shed also. Two year's supply of wood can come in handy if one of us is unable to cut and split the following year for one reason or another.