Heatwave 2022

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I was much younger, I worked in welding and machine shops. had to wear long sleeves, safety gear, goggles, and everything that made one hotter. It would be 117 to 120F degrees in those shops in the summer! I'd go home to my non AC'ed house and sweat some more.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hose off the compressor coils during the summer when needed. Those coils need air flow and should be clean at all times. This is something easy to do yourself and helps keep from a service call, where the tech asks you for a garden hose and spray nozzle.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm with @tortoise on acclimation.

The past few years, since 2016, I was intolerant of heat sources and sunshine, and other things. That has now changed. Since I'm now able to tolerate the heat and sunshine more, I not only do not mind the heat too much (it is summer afterall), but am thoroughly overjoyed! I feel like myself again. I actually get cold sometimes!

I still get hot (in the normal way), so I work outside until about 10:30 a.m., then am in and out of the house all afternoon, or work in the shade. Then go back out in the evening.

We also have mature shade trees, and run the air when it's humid, and for sleeping.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How hot is it? It's so hot that I have chicks hatching without benefit of a broody hen!

Yesterday afternoon I found a broody and two chicks. Took them and put in a wire cage to make sure they're ok until chicks were stronger. I didn't even know where the hen had set her eggs. A few minutes ago I went outside to refresh water as I've been doing daily with this heat and heard a chick crying. (didn't hear it this morning) Followed the cries and found the nest with a newly hatched chick and another one pipping. They haven't had a mama sitting on them since yesterday afternoon!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'd like to acclimate more than i am, AC is set low enough that i can't really do that. i go out and work as much as i can until i start feeling too hot then i take breaks as needed. now it is past planting season it is much easier and will only work on projects now along with everything else.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy as a pig in mud:

1656186041473.png

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Happy as a pig in mud:

View attachment 19315

you see all the people and the beauty treatments of soaking in mud and putting it on their faces. well... if it hasn't helped pigs become beautiful over millions of years perhaps that should be a sign to the rest of us?... ok, just kidding, don't throw those cucumber slices and tea bags at me! ...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
our chances of rain turned into about a dozen rain drops last night and nothing else. will get out and water again today for the seedlings to keep on sprouting. everything else got a pretty good watering yesterday so i just need to keep it damp enough in a few places and that doesn't take too long to accomplish. not too hot this week until Thursday and then back to more reasonable again the rest of the week (low 80s or mid-70s). i can cope with this kind of schedule now and get some work done on a few projects.