Heinlein Readers......are there a lot of us here, or what?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've read all that is Heinlein, although most of them I read 20 years ago. He had a tremendous influence on me, probably more than any author, although my favorite books are the ones by Jean Auel.

But one of my favorite books is Time Enough For Love....I just love the whole series about Lazarus Long.

The Story of Dora in that book seems especially to fit with our Self Sufficient theme.

How many other Heinlein fans to we count here? I find it interesting .......but he does promote a self sufficient attitude, don't you think? And what a wild imagination and interesting thinker he was. I love his stories and SciFi is not even really my genre, but his stories are the best! I especially liked his later works.

Anyone else want to chime in here and be counted among the Heinlein fans?

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You already know I am. But it's been years since I've read any, might be a good winter reading project. There are times when I don't agree with his attitude, but I still enjoy seeing another viewpoint.

DH is a fan as well.

One of my favorite "happenings" is when the Fair Witness Anne is asked by Jubal Harshaw, "Anne, what color is that house up on the hill?" in Stranger in a Strange Land. She replied that it was white, on THAT side. She was not going to assume the whole house was white, because she couldn't see the other sides.

That was a learning moment for me and the reason for my sig line. I've had cats named Lazarus and Jubal. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well, he does have some wild ideas about sex! But he is writing fantasy stories not moral literature. I think you have to take that part as being something authors often feel they have to throw in to sell books (because it does). But he had interesting views about it which I certainly do not share (being a happily married lady to one man!).

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am. So is Abi.

Like savingsdog, it has been decades. I guess it's time to start checking the goodwill :D

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Well, he does have some wild ideas about sex! But he is writing fantasy stories not moral literature. I think you have to take that part as being something authors often feel they have to throw in to sell books (because it does). But he had interesting views about it which I certainly do not share (being a happily married lady to one man!).
LOL, it wasn't the sex, it was the politics! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"Within the framework of his science fiction stories, Heinlein repeatedly integrated recognizable social themes: The importance of individual liberty and self-reliance, the obligation individuals owe to their societies, the influence of organized religion on culture and government, and the tendency of society to repress non-conformist thought. He also examined the relationship between physical and emotional love, explored various unorthodox family structures, and speculated on the influence of space travel on human cultural practices."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I found his political views fascinating!

I guess it was the unorthodox family structures that were a little over the top for me, but only for myself, not for a character in a book.

What books in particular did you like?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I read a lot of Heinlein in jr high and high school and mostly enjoyed it -- particularly one about a small group of military people going thru some gateway of some sort to a faraway world or alternate planet or something and getting trapped there for a year or two, and another book about a family that gets flung forward in time during some giant nuclear catastrophe and at the end of the book they end up going back in time and holing up in a mountain refuge instead. (e.t.a. - Actually if anyone can guess the titles of the books I'm referring to here I would enjoy knowing as I wouldn't mind rereading them now, thirty years later in life :p)

However after a while the sex and gender-roles and politics aspects got to be a bit much for me to want to hear more about. Also his obviously very very high opinion of himself.

He was ('was'? I guess? or he'd be really really old by now, I'd think) certainly a character though, that's the truth! And could sure tell a story :)

Pat