Hell hole

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our daughter and SIL have friends in Missouri and they spent 2 weeks with them this summer. During the day, they went places with the kids. They went to Saint Louis, went to nice places, I guess in the "nice" part of town. They were uncomfortable the whole time. They said it was so racially divided, that it just felt so wrong.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Years ago, we missed a turn while going to visit my sister in Connecticut. We ended up in NYC. What signs we could read were in both Spanish and English. The rest were covered in graffiti. We stopped at a red light and had this whole gang of teens jump out and start washing our windows. Scared us half to death. I told hubby give them a dollar and lets get out of here! I hate cities and avoid them as much as possible.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also- really? It's more dangerous than Chicago? Crazy... Glad you were safe. I carry everywhere, but have never needed it. But goes to show you, it'll save your behind.

Nope... Sadly.... "despite the soundbites, Chicago remains in the middle of the pack when homicide is measured on a per-capita basis. In 2016, the city had a rate of 27.9 killings per 100,000 residents — half that of St. Louis."

Reference ---> https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/amp/

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I decided I'm going to send a email to the Mayor of Saint Louis.

But you want to know the saddest part? I was their from approx 5:00 PM to about 8:30 PM and yes... I was right downtown the whole time. I seen ZERO police - not a single police car, not a single officer walking the beat, not one on a horse, nota zip nota one. I was utterly shocked at the absence of law enforcement... I seen numerous instances of drug use. Including smoking skunk weed, crack and meth and I was just there for a few hours... it was absolutely crazy...

And here I read the Mayor is taking ideas of how to stop the violent crime spree? Prehaps I'm a simpleton, but good God, the answer is so simple... Enforce The Law!

I mean Duh...

http://www.kmov.com/story/35605354/st-louis-mayor-lyda-krewson-responds-violent-crime-concerns

I'm not one to complain much, but I tell you truthfully my visit to Saint Louis really rattled something loose inside my heart, I made me sad, almost to the point of embarrassment. I just don't get it - why?

SAINT LOUIS - THERE IS NO EXCUSE!

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In Ohio, even in the more rural areas, meth and heroin are driving crime rates up. Not nearly as bad as the cities, but lots of breakins and thefts from barns and garages.

Some of the local and state parks are getting bad, too. You never know what you might stumble across.

I only have one child left in school, and she has a fairly good head on her shoulders. Worry about all three all the time

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, that place does look and sound awful. You mentioned my thread and pics at the start of the thread. I went into Dublin city Sunday before last. Got onto the Luas and travelled from the train station out to the museum and a few stops further, before we got off and headed across the river to the "better" part of the city on foot. The first mile or so on the Luas did not deliver much more than tired looking buildings and graffiti heaven. I looked at everything and though over and over why on Mother Earth is Dublin hands down the most expensive city to live in in Ireland, it's GROTTY!! I guess it didn't help that my first impressions must've been of the rear end of the place, but wow… Not what I was expecting at all.

We saw a few homeless people, who left us alone and we did see some Garda, some on foot, so they are patrolling the city and we didn't once feel unsafe, but overall I have to say even this lovely country is not exempt from the "hell hole" that plague cities. Limerick city is our "bad" one though. That place is just not very nice, compared to the others here.

But overall, even the worst here comes up smelling like roses compared to South Africa, so I won't judge too harshly, we can do much worse!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have serious meth, heroin and prescription drug issues in my state as well. Even in my small town. In fact we saw someone dealing drugs in front of our house one evening (my husband screamed at them and we told the police, hasn't happened again). There were 6 overdoses in 36 hours in a smallish town about 40 minutes from us last week. Whoever makes Narcan is RICH now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man...that stinks! At one time - quite a few years ago we had some 'rough' folks living at the end of our road - we are on a 'dead end' street. Lots of traffic at all hours... I think they thought they were safe out in the country. Don't know for sure what happened (but I have an idea )that house burned to the ground and the riff-raff disappeared. YAY!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grew up in the Midtown area of Kansas City MO. It felt so much safer in the 60's, when I was a kid. Now, I don't feel safe t even walk in my old neighborhood there. Tagging everywhere, muggings, it too is going downhill bad.
St Louis, comes across pretty dangerous to me, and I have never stayed in that town overnight. Then there is Memphis, Birmingham AL, Atlanta, Dallas/Ft Worth, Jacksonville FL. Oh, not to forget Baton Rouge and N'awlins.
Some places are best left to the TV screen or computer monitor. I drove through all of those major cities in the 80' and 90's when I was a young Navy wife. Now, I dread it, when I drive back to visit family in KCMO.