Hello all! - Newbie here

Poppy57

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a newbie here from Australia, ready and willing to learn all that I can. We moved to Australia 10 years ago and after a long stint in the city we are more than ready now to get back to country living once again.

Our passion is to be able to raise heritage breed stock and be as self Sufficient and Reliant as we possibly can, including going totally off grid.

We love making our own soaps, canning, gardening, animal husbandry and living in general where we care for the land and the environment along the way.

We are looking forward to meeting other like minded people and continuing to learn as much as we possibly can to ensure that we can become the best possible stewards for our land.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! What animals do you have or are you looking to have? Love my heritage breeds, though I think they're probably quite different than what you have!

Poppy57

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome! What animals do you have or are you looking to have? Love my heritage breeds, though I think they're probably quite different than what you have!

Thank you for the warm welcome NH Homesteader.

Don't have any stock animals at present with still living in the city. I love the Berkshire pigs and Wiltshire sheep so will be trying to get some young stock of those to begin with. Other breeds are going to depend on their availability here. Heritage breeds are not well known here and so finding stock can be very difficult. We also need to make sure that the stock is compatable with our climate too so many breeds that might be available over East would not survive or thrive here in my State.

We are still a little way from getting ou land even though we have our eyes on a couple of potential properties, so we still have some time to still research.

Cattle we are still undecided but leaning towatds the Brahma for beef as they can handle our extreme heat here. For milking I wil always go with the Jersey. I used to breed pedigree Jerseys and just love them for their quiet nature and large cream production. Their cream makes the best butter and ice cream and their milk is the best I found for cheesemaking.

What heritage breeds do you like or have?

I love animals that take a bit longer to mature as their meat flavour is far superior and hence my love for the heritage breeds. I am still l;ooking at heritage breed chickens but leaning towards the Sussex as they are good alrounder and fairly available here although expensive.

Poppy57

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington state.

Have you thought about the breeds you might want?

Hello Hinotori and thank you for welcoming me here. I am new to forums so need to feel my way a little bit.

I like the Berkshire pigs, Wiltshire sheep and Sussex chickens. I am still tryng to research other breeds and their availability here. Due to our extreme summer temperatures many breeds would not do well here at all.

Do you have heritage breed animals and if so what breeds do you have?

I am keen to get hold of as much information as I possible can on different breeds.

Poppy57

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello Britesea. Thank you. I don't at all mind this sort of craziness. :) I live to learn. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another Texas here, welcome, would love to see pictures of your farm and animals. We are on 8 acres in east Texas, have 10 sheep, 4 horses, 3 dogs and 30-ish chickens. We raise feeder pigs for the freezer and I look for heritage breeds. I can, dehydrate, put in the freezer. We garden and love our fresh veggies!