Hello From California - BYC member new to SS

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a tough question because I like a lot of my breeds, lol.

I've got some Red Dorkings that make a really good meat bird. They have a loooong breast with a lot of meat on it.

Also, Sussex are a great dual purpose bird. I have both Coronation Sussex and some Light Sussex. They are pretty nice eye candy and the roo's get big enough to make a nice, meaty carcass. The hens go broody and are good mothers. Plus, they are a nice, calm bird and don't cause drama in the barnyard.

I'd say those two are my favorites.

I also have Barred Hollands. (In case you haven't noticed - I like the heritage breeds.) The Barred Holland roos butcher out nice. Not as heavy as Dorkings or Sussex, but nice.

Also have some Faverolles, but haven't butchered any of them. They are a very gentle breed and the roos are big. I HAVE butchered some crosses and they were fine.

For several years I raised some of the Cornish crosses for the freezer - but I don't do it anymore. I don't mind the extra time for the heritage roos to grow out and the flavor of the meat is just so... ummm... chickeny, lol.

Now - having said all of that.... all my breeds are very gentle. I will NOT tolerate a mean roo. I must have at least a dozen roos around here and not a single one of them is mean to people.

My other breeds are Black and Lavender Orpingtons... love them. Right now I have more Ameraucana's than any of the other breeds. They grow quickly, lay early and are good foragers. I've butchered a couple roos and have some penned up now to butcher in another couple weeks. Not a big carcass, but definitely edible.

Oh, have a Turken hen that's trying her best to hatch out a rock...and a silkie who sat and sat but finally gave up because we kept pulling her eggs. I used to keep all my breeds penned separately for breeding purposes - but I'm not looking for any more birds so they are all running together now. I don't want any more chicks until next year, so I am discouraging any broodies.

Didn't mean to write a book or hijack this thread, lol!

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thats okay I am used to chicken talk...

That cool about all your breeds, you obviously have a lot of experience raising / butchering chickens. I really need to start eating mine, I have too many, but I have stronger parental attachment to mine.

I have always been interested in the thought of feral/landrace breeds. If I ever get really big property (only 1/2 acre right now) I would have a giant herd of chickens running around living off the land. All sorts of breeds, and just let natural selection sort out which genetics are optimal for self sufficient wild chickens. (Predators dont seem nearly as bad in California as other states from what I have noticed talking with my other BYC friends).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just get some Icelandic chickens. They were left on an island, forgotten about and left to fend for themselves. They are pretty too!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
JSHUBIN, I too belong to BYC. I'm also new here. Wow, sounds like you have a lot of irons in the fire. I imagine in California you get a good tax break on the solar improvements but I doubt you would in Arkansas. I have a SIL in Porterville and I guess there is a lot of fires now. I hope the drought is better. Here it is like a tropical forest this summer with rain almost every day and pretty cool nights. Usually summers are really hot and no rain in sight for days at a time. I'm loving it!

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My In-laws have hundreds and hundreds of acres in Porterville. Nut farm.

We got a lot of tax breaks and special financing (Hero Program) for energy our efficient improvements. We got breaks for the Coolwall paint, Cool roof system and the solar panels. I think my wife also mentioned that we got breaks for our new Washer/Dryer.

Cool wall and roof make big difference. Have good windows too, but they were with the house when we bought it.