Hello from L.A. (lower Alabama)

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi, I just found your site and love it!!!

My husband and I have recently begun our journey to a more self-sufficient lifestyle, and I am thrilled to find a forum with so many useful tips. We live on an island in the Gulf of Mexico just south of Mobile, Alabama. Since the question is not if a hurricane will disrupt our power, water, etc., but when, it seems like common sense to me to be prepared. I'd also like to be able to retire early, so frugality is also a consideration. My husband has always been a do-it-yourself type guy, but I wasn't raised that way, so it's taken time for me to gain confidence that simplicity can equal happiness in a way that conspicuous consumption cannot.

I'm starting slowly. First, I learned to bake my own artisan bread (yummy) about a year ago and I've been cooking many things from scratch for years. More recently, I have ceased purchasing any pre-packaged food items (bye-bye Kraft dinner) and am instead making pretty much everything homemade. It's cheaper and my food contains no chemically altered or artificial ingredients (including HFCS). I have also created all of my own "convenience food" mixes, my own baking mix, cornbread mix, cake mix, brownie mix, salad dressing mix, chili and taco seasoning mixes and so forth. My husband thinks they taste as good or better than the ones I used to buy at the store. I love to cook - particularly with fresh, high quality ingredients.

My experience at gardening was limited to the ability to keep plastic plants "alive", but I am gradually learning. At this very moment, I have fresh, home-grown herbs in pots on my porch that are growing well, though not quite ready to harvest, and I transplanted my successfully started lettuce and turnip green seedlings into my raised bed today. We shall see if they live. (fingers crossed)

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Only by the bad press - pretty much killed the folks in the vacation rental business, despite the fact that the oil never really caused much problem here. What you saw on the news didn't happen in our part of the Gulf too much. We were fairly protected by the currents coming out of Mobile Bay. It mainly hurt Louisiana and a few other places. We had a few tarballs on the beach, but nothing too bad - wildlife is fine, no dead birds, marine mammals or fish.

The beaches are clean and the water is clear. EPA shows no toxins in the water or the seafood. Come on down!

ksalvagno said:
:welcome

Have you been affected at all by the oil in the gulf?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow I'm glad to hear you were spared from the spill! From what I've heard, Dauphin Island is a natural treasure. :)

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That it is. It is also home to an Audobon bird sanctuary.

This morning, I was working on the front porch and was treated to visit from a curious hummingbird. I wish I'd had a camera. It was less than 3 feet from me.
I've never seen one that close up before.

curly_kate said:
Welcome! :frow I'm glad to hear you were spared from the spill! From what I've heard, Dauphin Island is a natural treasure. :)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay! Another Alabama person!

I loooove your part of the state. I have a bunch of family in Mobile and I invite myself to visit every chance I get. We usually stay at the communal family beach house, on the bay side in Gulf Shores. I've been to Dauphin island a couple times, but I haven't been to any of the other islands.
Are you guys seeing dolphins much since the spill? We had a pod that were like old family friends, they'd come to our dock every evening to fish in the seagrass. They'd been coming there regularly for years, we could always recognize them because one had a shark chomp on his flipper. I was there in late June for about a week and we never saw them. I was worried and hoping they'd simply left because of the spill.

Aww, now I really want to go to the beach. :p

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We took the boat out weekend before last and although we didn't catch a single fish :( we did see a large pod of dolphin, as well as a large number of marine bird of various types.

Nice to meet somebody else from the area.

Occamstazer said:
Yay! Another Alabama person!

I loooove your part of the state. I have a bunch of family in Mobile and I invite myself to visit every chance I get. We usually stay at the communal family beach house, on the bay side in Gulf Shores. I've been to Dauphin island a couple times, but I haven't been to any of the other islands.
Are you guys seeing dolphins much since the spill? We had a pod that were like old family friends, they'd come to our dock every evening to fish in the seagrass. They'd been coming there regularly for years, we could always recognize them because one had a shark chomp on his flipper. I was there in late June for about a week and we never saw them. I was worried and hoping they'd simply left because of the spill.

Aww, now I really want to go to the beach. :p