Hello from New Jersey :D

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting trying to be self-sufficient here, most of my friends & family think I am crazy. We have 19 happy hens out back who pay their own way, a decent sized garden that is getting bigger and more productive every year and a pantry that still has jars of last years harvest. I am trying to save money and live a cleaner life. I am switching out my retail chemical dependency for homemade concoctions. We are making baby steps, but can already see the savings. But still I can help but laugh at the interesting comments we get from the peanut gallery.

I was informed by a friend yesterday that I am charging too much for my eggs ($3) because Shoprite had eggs for $2.99 and who would pay more for my dirty eggs?!??!

A neighbor saw my clothes line and asked me why I had one, because dryers are so much easier (and has been hinting I move it because it is visible to the street)

My mother-in-law bought me laundry soap because she assumed I was using homemade because we were broke and couldn't afford the 'good stuff'.

Our (now former, but still won't leave) roommate had been caught on a regular basis tossing the veggie scrap bucket in the trash because he was afraid we would get ants. (although he knows that we haven't had an ant since i switched to homemade vinegar based cleaners)

My husband is all for saving money so at least he is in this with me. :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome

Gotta love the peanut gallery! I have one too. I keep an old coffee can in my kitchen for compost items and have never ever ever seen any bugs, or even had a smell from it.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! :frow

Have fun being the "crazy person" in your family...you'll fit right in here! ;)

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't believe my family some times, I offer them delivered eggs in exchange for cartons... free delivered eggs.... and they are still buying them in the store. Do they not know that store bought eggs come from chicken butts too? :rolleyes:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's okay...my niece won't eat our eggs because I mentioned I give them beetles that end up on the porch. "WHAT?? Your chickens eat bugs??? Never again!" :rolleyes:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome to the looney bin. :lol: We all subscribe to this kind of looney - fresh eggs, homemade food, chemical free, DIY, etc.

I have a friend who was terrified to eat here - he was afraid I was going to poison him by slipping something foreign in his dessert by making it from scratch (zucchini spice cake with caramel frosting). :lol: My standard response is 'if I wanted to poison you, I would have succeeded'.

Our adult children took a while to convert to fresh eggs. They thought they looked weird. Now they know that's what eggs are supposed to look like!

We're the only ones in our family that do the SS living. The rest think we're an interesting case study of...well, being different. Hang in there, you found kindred spirits here!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Welcome to the looney bin. :lol: We all subscribe to this kind of looney - fresh eggs, homemade food, chemical free, DIY, etc.

We're the only ones in our family that do the SS living. The rest think we're an interesting case study of...well, being different. Hang in there, you found kindred spirits here!
I once described myself to my sister as "the black sheep of the family." "No," she gently corrected me, "You're the family eccentric."

:thumbsup

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I would pay more for your dirty eggs! I have friends who are like that, and no, I don't think they realize that store bought eggs come from chicken butts too... :rolleyes: They freak out that the chickens eat bugs and worms. sigh...........

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from another crazy Jersey girl. (I can still call myself a girl at 50, can't I?) What part of the state are you in?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow Hello and Welcome from Arkansas (via Tennessee via South Jersey at the edge of the Pine Barrnes)!

You're gonna love it here!

Dawn