Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mil has chickens and still won't eat the eggs because they eat bugs! :hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
My mil has chickens and still won't eat the eggs because they eat bugs! :hu
Well, I'm not real sure how to respond to that. :lol: What does she do with the eggs?

My daughter was buying vegetarian eggs ($$) when our hens weren't laying. Took a while for her to accept the fact that there's no such thing as a vegetarian chicken.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol

glad i'm not alone, it's so funny how quickly people pass judgment, especially family, I just have to laugh it off.

We are in the middle of Jersey, near Freehold, 5 minutes from Six Flags, our little farm seems completely out of place. Can't wait until we get goats, our neighbor thinks our clothes line is unusual :p

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was weeding my garden (and collecting the evil little beetles off my squash) my kids actually fight over who gets to feed the chickens the bugs, lol.

Yesterday they we eating purple string beans out of the garden. I am hoping they will grow up knowing where their food comes from and what is food and what isn't. My kids ask for eggs for lunch instead of nuggets, they want fruit for snacks. They know what fruits and veggies are what, they know fries start as potatoes and they know how to sift potatoes out of barrels. My kids are 18mo & 3 years and they can name more veggies than most teens I know.

My mom loves it when I ask my 3 year old to grab a squash out of the fridge and he asks "yellow or green?"

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You're way far north of me! I'm south of you by quite a bit. If you know where Glassboro is (think Rowan University), that's not too far from me.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know where that is, it's amazing how different it is once you go into south jersey, we were looking at land down there but managed a good deal where we are, I wanted to be in an area a little more rural, but DH had a good job offer up north. Then the property taxes have almost doubled in the last 5 years :/

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kids are 18mo & 3 years and they can name more veggies than most teens I know.
You Go Girl!!! :thumbsup

My niece and nephew (16 & 20) kill me. A few years back, they had a bad ice storm out here and were without power for about a week. My niece went into panic attack mode because she couldn't microwave her spaghetti-o's and the nephew was at a loss on how to make rice without the same microwave. They have a wood stove for heat and the kids were sure they were gonna starve. It's not really funny but...:gig

We were raised with wood heat and learned to cook basic meals on the stove, did a huge garden every year and helped with every aspect of it, right down to canning. I went through a few years of "You'll never see me in a garden again" but got over it real quick!

I feel sorry for the kids but they have no interest in learning anything about ss, hopefully they'll change their minds, one of these days.

Dawn

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
garden pixy said:
I know where that is, it's amazing how different it is once you go into south jersey, we were looking at land down there but managed a good deal where we are, I wanted to be in an area a little more rural, but DH had a good job offer up north. Then the property taxes have almost doubled in the last 5 years :/
There's a lot of diversity all thru the state. The shore area is different, this area is different, towards the more developed areas, it's different, and towards the mountains it's different! Then, you have all the biodiversity in the state, the Pine Barrens, the shore, the mountains, etc.

And, I hear ya on the taxes! Our taxes are horrible! I've heard it said that eventually the only people who will live here will be the ones that can afford it and those that are too poor to leave. :/